Freehold Registrations, 1831
The following is an extract from The Belfast Newsletter dated 30th September 1831 and is used with permission of The Belfast Newsletter.
The following names are taken from a list of persons applying to register their Freeholds at a General Quarter Sessions of the Peace to be held in Belfast on the 24th October, 1831.
Name and Residence of Applicant: John Neilson, Corbally
Description of Freehold, with the names of Barony and Townland in which situated: House and land, Upper Massereene, town land of Ballymacricket and Aghnakimmoney
Yearly Value to be registered: £10
Land Sale — Fruithill
The following extract is from The Lisburn Standard dated Saturday 24th September 1887
Land for sale – Mr McLeavy on 3rd October 1887 – farm of land and residence – Fruithill, Parish of Ballinderry – 108a 2r 2p.
The following extract is from the Lisburn Standard 9th March 1889
Fruit Hill, Ballinderry
Executors’ Sale of Horses, Cattle, Hay, Potatoes, farming implements; and Letting of Grazing.
We have received instructions from the Executors of the late Wm. B. McLeavy, Fruit Hill, Ballinderry, to sell by Auction, on the premises, on Thursday, 21st March, 1889, at the hour of eleven o’clock, 2 strong farming horses, 2 excellent Dairy cows, 5 well-bred calves, 1 brood sow and 11 young pigs; 4 pikes well-saved upland hay, 5 stacks of oat and wheat straw, about 4 tons of excellent Skerry potatoes, 3 tons of champion potatoes, and a small quantity of small potatoes; 5 Lea ploughs, 2 drill ploughs, 4 harrows, reaping machine, horse rake, turnip pulper, metal roller, 5 farm carts, sheep float, family car, gig, set of driving harness, 4 sets cart and plough harness, saddle; cart wheels,new; barn and wheelbarrows, ladders, forks, lumber; and a quantity of farm-yard manure.
On same day will be let about 55 acres of rich old pasture till 1sy November.
Terms – cash for chattels; and credit till 1st November, on approved security, for grass. Purchasers to pay Auction fees.
George Preston & Son, Auctioneers, Dromore. March 6, 1889
Probate – Alexander Ross
The following is an extract from The Lisburn Herald, February 26th 1898.
Dublin Law Reports
Probate (before Mr. Justice Andrews)
Alexander Ross, deceased
The deceased was a farmer, residing at a place called Aghamoney, near Glenavy, County Antrim, and died on 20th may 1881, having, a few days before his death, made his will, whereby he bequeathed his farm to his mother, Susan for life, and after her death to his brother Allan, and appointed his mother the executrix thereof. The will was written by Mr. John K. Addison, of Ballinderry, and is believed to be in the possession of Mrs. Ross, who, notwithstanding that a citation had been served upon her to bring in the will so that it might be proved, had refused to obey the same, and on last Monday his Lordship made an order that she should attend in person to be examined before him today with reference thereto.
Mr. W.M. Whitaker (instructed by Mr. W.G. Maginess, Lisburn) appeared for Allan Ross; Mr. McGonigal (instructed by Mr. G.B. Wilkins) appeared for Mrs. Ross.
Mr. McGonigal applied for an adjournament, on the ground that his client, as stated in the certificate of Dr. Mussen, was unable to come to Dublin.
Mr.Whitaker resisted the application, on the ground that the witness was treating the Court with contempt, as it was clear she had the will, and was able to some to Dublin if she desired.
His Lordship made an order that Mrs. Ross should show cause on Friday next why she should not be attached.
Swine Fever, 1931
The following extract is from the Belfast Newsletter and dated 27th December 1931. It is used with permission of the Belfast Newsletter.
Lisburn Board of Guardians
Mr James Gregg, V.S., reported as follows – The veterinary department say that swine fever exists at the premises of J. Gilliland, Lisnatrunk; W. Hawthorn, carrycot; Wm. Magee, Ballymacward; Robert Bell, Legaterriff; George White, Lisburn; Joseph McKnight, Ballyclough; Robert Morrow, Whitemountain; John McKee, Ravarnet; William Andrews, Blaris;James McKee, Aghadalgan; Joseph O’Hara, Ballymaclose; Moses Moore, Crew Park; Isaac Matchett, Aghakilmoney; William Kelly, Lisburn; James Archer, Lisburn; and that the disease does not exist at Mary A. Caldwell’s, Crew.
A discarded Bible reveals a 19th century scandal
by "The Digger"
The 1811 Bible found in a dump many years ago revealed a 19th century scandal. An old friend of mine, who had been a local window cleaner many years go, recalled one of the regular visits in his round. It was to a house known as ‘Ingram’ in the Harmony Hill area of Lisburn and occupied by the Johnson-Smyth family. At that time it was falling into a state of disrepair.
He could recall a bull terrier sitting in the entrance hall that had evidently at one time been on a visit to a taxidermist. Military statues, oil paintings depicting military battles, soldiers and Irish scenery adorned the walls.
On Saturday 16th March, 1798 the Reverend Dr. Snowden Cupples, Rector of Lisburn Cathedral, had the unenviable task of administering the last communion to the condemned Henry Munro who had been arrested after his involvement with the United Irishmen at the Battle of Ballynahinch. The table on which the communion was administered was also part of the furniture at Ingram. The Cupples family, the Corkens and the Johnson-Smyths were all related by marriages through the generations and were connected to Ingram.
The Murder that never was
by "The Digger"
In a previous article I made reference to the early 19th century bible that an old friend of mine had salvaged from a dump in the Lisburn area many years ago. It had been rebound using old newspapers from the era, on of which was the story of the "body snatching" episodes at Lambeg Parish Church. I had briefly made reference to the other cutting found in the spine of the bible referring to a reward for information leading to the discovery of a man called Saunders Ross. He could neither hear nor speak and his disappearance was most upsetting to members of his family and to those who knew him.
An advertisement had been placed in the local press in December 1830. It states that Saunders was from the townland of "Aughnakillmoney" in the Parish of Ballinderry. The townland name is most likely the one that is now called Aughanamoney. There are many spelling variants of the name throughout the years. If you turn off the main Moira Road (A26) towards Lough Neagh at Lower Road, Ballinderry you will meet the Scroggy Road, part of which is situated in the Aughanamoney townland. In earlier maps the name "Ross Vale" appears on a property in the area. The Ross family were associated with the general area for generations.