Events – Camlin Parish

1810 Antrim Sessions

The following is an extract from the Belfast Newsletter dated 12th January 1810 and is reproduced here by permission of the Belfast News Letter


Commenced at Carrickfergus on Monday last. The Civil Bill business occupied the Court from Monday morning, till Tuesday at noon; and the Crown business was then proceeded on, and ended on Wednesday night.

Francis Davis and Henry Dupre were indicted for an assault on Mr. M. Blair – found guilty, and sentenced to one months imprisonment.

J. Knox, for an assault on R. Tarburn, submitted; the Chairman having read the examinations, and finding the assault sworn to was of a very serious nature, after giving him an appropriate admonition, sentenced him to one months imprisonment, and to remain in custody till he procured security to keep the peace.

Alex. Garland and Samuel Smith, both of the Parish of Killead, were indicted for an assault on Sarah Donnelly; and it appeared from the evidence, that traversers, with many others, had seized prosecutor on the King’s high way, near Crumlin, and had forced her upon a horse, and taken her thus, with a drum and fife playing behind the horse, from thence through the town of Antrim, on the market day, and from thence to Magill’s Town, and by this means (as the party called it) drummed her out of the parish of Killead, on account of a report they alleged she had made respecting some people in that parish of a very extraordinary nature, and which, from motives of delicacy, and the feelings of the persons concerned, we decline to publish. Traversors were on the clearest evidence found guilty; and the Chairman, after expatiating at some length on the enormity of their offence, in the midst of a country heretofore quiet and peaceable, and by persons of a decent appearance, whose duty it was to protect, rather than commit such an outrage, particularly on a female – sentenced them to six months imprisonment.

Crumlin River – boy drowned

The following is taken from the Belfast News Letter dated 1st September 1829. Thanks to the Belfast News Letter for permission to use this extract.

At Crumlin river, six boys were amusing themselves on Wednesday, throwing rag-weed into the river and then went to gather raspberries. One of their comrades, Robert Fenton fell into the river and drowned. The body was found on Thursday on the banks of Lough Neagh.

Disorderly conduct fine paid to the parish poor

The following extract is from the Belfast Newsletter dated 3rd April 1832 and is used with permission of the Belfast Newsletter.

The Rev. Edward Cupples has received from Fortescue Gregg, Esq, J.P. for the poor of the parish of Glenavy, 5s – being a fine paid by a yeoman for disorderly conduct in Crumlin market.

Neighbours assist Mrs Alexander

The following is an extract from the Belfast Newsletter dated 9th March 1841 and is used with permission of the Belfast Newsletter.

Testimony of respect to Mrs. Alexander, of Crumlin. – On Monday the 22nd February, 26 ploughs, belonging to the gentry and farmers in the neighbourhood of Crumlin, assembled on the farm of Mrs Alexander, the widow of the late Rev. N Alexander, and ploughed, during the day nearly 20 acres in excellent style. This kind act was altogether voluntary, and expressive, in some degree, of the esteem with which this benevolent lady is regarded in the neighbourhood where she resides. The work was kindly superintended by James Whitla, Esq. J.P., Gobrana and Charles W. Armstrong, Esq. J.P. Cherryvalley. (N. Whig)

Man Found and sent to Antrim Bridewell

The following is an extract from the Belfast Newsletter dated 28th July 1854 and appears with permission of the Belfast Newsletter.

Painful case – On Tuesday last, the 18th instant, a poor man, evidently insane, was discovered in the neighbourhood of Crumlin, quite naked, without a particle of covering upon him. There is little doubt he is both deaf and dumb, as he has not articulated a single sentence since he was lodged in Antrim Bridewell for safety, until claimed by his friends. Any other information can be obtained at Crumlin or Glenavy Police stations. He appears to be about 45 years of age, stout made, dark complexion, dark hair, cut short, and about 5 feet 8 inches high.

Public Investigation into Dr Hume

The following is an extract from the Belfast Newsletter dated Friday 6th September 1861. It appears with permission of the Belfast Newsletter.

Important investigation at Crumlin (from our own reporter)

Yesterday, a public investigation was held in the Committee-room of the Crumlin Dispensary, before Dr. Knox, P.L.M.I., to inquire into charges preferred against Dr. Hume, dispensary medical officer, regarding his attendance on a woman named Susanna Quigley, wife of Alexander Quigley, Crumlin, who died on the 31st of July last, after giving birth to a dead child.

Mr. Alexander O’Rorke appeared on the part of the Dispensary Committee, and Mr. James McLean on the part of Dr. Hume. Dr. Stronge of Belfast, was present to hear the witnesses examined, having been summoned by the Hon. Secretary of the Dispensary Committee for that purpose.

Alexander Quigley, husband of the deceased, examined by Dr. Knox – I procured a visiting ticket for my wife on the 19th of July, and gave it to Dr. Hume on the 20th. My wife appeared to be in labour. Dr. Hume came down with me. He only visited her the once, to my knowledge, after that. He came down that day in the evening. I think it was the next morning I went to him and told him "Susanna is very bad, and I would like you to come down." He had masons at work and he said he would be down in ten minutes. He dod not come in half an hour, and I went back for him and the doctor came with me. I do not know did I go for him for a day or two after. I suppose the second time he visited my wife he remained from five to ten minutes. The first time he came he remained a few minutes, and I understand he said there were no labour pains the matter with her. I went up in some days after and he was not at home, but I saw Mrs. Hume, and she said the doctor was away at Ballinderry. I asked when he would be home, and she said, "About nine o’clock at night." He had not come home before eleven o’clock, and at that hour I went to the inn to get a car to go to meet him, or to go for another doctor. When going down the street again I heard horses’ feet, and some of the women said "That is the doctor." I waited until he came up, and I said "Doctor, Susanna is very bad, and, if you alight, and come in and see her, I’ll put your horse up." He said, "I will put my horse up myself." I went with him up to his stable, and he put up his horse, and then said he would go into his house and change his coat, as it was wet. He then came down in a short time and he said, "There are no labour pains the matter with the woman; I may go home and go to bed." He went home in a few minutes. I went for him again in two or three days or so after. I had to go twice for him before he came. When I called first, he said he would be down after ma. He did not come, and I went for him again in the course of half an hour. He came then after me. There were some women in the room, and he stopped a few minutes. He said, "Susanna, if you make a fool of these women round you, don’t think you’re going to make a fool of me," and he lifted his hat and went out. A day or two after she was very bad, and I went up to see him and he was not at home, and I was advised to go for another doctor, she was so bad. I went to the inn, and they would not give me a car under 12s, and I got one at Bell’s cheaper, and I went for Dr. Burton, of Aghalee. The reason I went for Dr. Burton was because Dr. Hume was not at home, and that I heard the women saying, "If the doctor had been here, she could have been delivered." Dr. Burton came with me. He came into the house, and he put all the women out except two or three. Mrs. Browne, Mrs. Campbell, and another of the women remained in the room. He delivered the woman of a dead child. Dr. Burton was there half an hour to an hour and a quarter. The delivery took place a day or two after Dr. Hume’s last visit. Dr. Burton remained with her about half an hour after the delivery, and about an hour and a half before he left the place entirely. He did not come back before she died. He delivered her between six and seven o’clock in the evening, and she died about seven o’clock the next evening. My wife was, I think, between thirty and forty years of age. I don’t know her age any nearer. We were married about three years and a half. She had a miscarriage about two years before, and this was the first child she had. Dr. Neeson visited her at the time of the miscarriage. I did not hear Dr. Hume state that he would not visit her again. There was no application made to Dr. Hume, after Dr. Burton came, to my knowledge. There were several women with my wife. I could not say was any of them a midwife; but a Mrs. Elliott who was there, I heard, attends women when in that way. I did not ask for an investigation, but I was dissatisfied with Dr. Hume’s attendance. My brother in law wrote a letter concerning it, and I saw it. I was an assenting party. I can write my name, and I wrote it to the letter. Dr. Hume gave some draughts to my wife. He did not refuse on any occasion to visit when I asked him. I am a labourer. I had to pay for the attendance of Dr. Burton. She never was liable to convulsions until some few days before she died.

Examined by Mr. O’Rourke – After getting the draughts she complained of loss of sight. She thought there were black crocks running through the floor and that her nails were colored. I did not see her up any of the days. From the 19th, when I got the ticket, up to the time she died, she was getting weaker.

Cross examined by Mr McLean – Mrs. Moore was there. She proposes to be a midwife. Mrs. Elliott was there. Mrs. Cummins was there. All these had the repute of being midwives. They attend women in their confinement. I did not hear one of them state after Dr. Hume’s last visit that my wife was not in labour. Dr. Hume lives about twelve perches from my house. I could have called on him when Dr. Burton came and got him to explain to Dr. Burton the state in which my wife had been. I did not want him, as I thought one doctor enough. I understood Dr. Burton was sent for a second time before my wife died. He did not come. I do not know did he send any reply, for I was in Belfast. When I came home from Belfast, at about six o’clock, my wife was dying. I did not go for Dr. Hume. I understood that it was Mr. Donaldson’s man went the second day for Dr. Burton. I recollect hearing Dr. Hume say there were too many women in the house. There were only three or four women then. I never heard Dr. Hume say, "If I’m wanted, send for me."

Margaret Browne, examined by Mr. O’Rourke – I was there when Dr. Hume came. He went in and, I think examined her. He was told of the state of the matter. He said, "They are all false pains, and I may go home and go to bed." I saw her several times after this visit. She was always unwell and in bed. She was getting weaker always. I saw her the day Dr. Burton came. I was there then. She was very low, and perfectly cold, and her pains had left her. Her skin was wet with perspiration, and yet she was perfectly cold – her arms and legs were as if they were in a tub of water. I was in the room when Dr. Burton delivered her, but I did not look on. He asked if Dr. Hume had not ordered her anything to keep up her strength – wine or spirits – and he was told Dr. Hume had ordered nothing, but that she got some draughts. He said the woman was far through, and when he felt her pulse he said, "The child is dead twelve hours." Dr. Hume was the first who told me she had convulsions or epilepsy. He told me on the road. I never knew her to have epilepsy, nor one of her family.

Eliza Campbell, sister of the deceased, was examined. In the course of her evidence she said – My sister got three draughts entirely, but only took two of them, for I threw out one of them, as they were doing her no good. My sister was up on Sunday after taking the Draught, and she said she was quite strong, but that her sight was gone, and she could not see the nails on her fingers. She continued to complain of the want of sight until her death.

To Dr. Know – My sister was four years younger than I am. I was entered as forty two years in the census paper. I will not swear that was correct. I will not swear that my sister was not fifty years old. I am sure I am not fifty.

Mary Moore, examined by Mr. O’Rourke – I have attended a great many women in labour. Alexander Quigley came for me the Monday before Mrs Quigley was delivered. He told me Dr. Hume said she was not in labour. I said there was no use in me going then. I went, however, and examined her. She had no labour then – not a bit. That was bout two o’clock on Monday. I was certain she was not in labour. The child was living. I saw no signs of labour then – she might have been so before I saw her. I told her I thought she’d have to wait a while. I helped her out of the bed, and she dressed herself, and she went to the kitchen and back to the room. She stopped up and drank a cup of tea without anything with it, and then went back to bed again. Her sister left me in the house, and while she was out Mrs. Quigley took convulsions, and wrought in them, and I ran out for some of the neighbours. Her sister came in, and said, "She is in the habit of taking these since she took ill, and we put a grain of salt on her lips and she gets well." She put the salt then on her lips and she came to, and was out of her mind, and bounced out on the floor and had to be held. She called out "You poisoned me" when the salt was put on. There were several there. She had no labour pains while I was there. I saw her having one or two pains, but I told her they were from want of food, and not labour. She said she had not been eating anything. The child had not left its place at all. I have had no conversation with Dr. Hume about Mrs Quigley’s death. He never recommends me to patients.

Benjamin Oakman, examined by Dr. Knox – I am a member of the Dispensary Committee. I saw Mrs. Moore, the last witness, in her own house, and she told me that Dr. Hume had been in and had just gone out. She did not states what had taken place in the conversation between herself and Dr. Hume. She said Dr. Hume was generally a very lucky man, and if there was a charge against anyone it out to be against Dr. Burton. At the last committee meeting, Dr. Hume was called in, and he admitted that he had called on Mrs Moore, and he had the date of it down.

Mrs Moore here said – If Dr Hume called on me I don’t remember it. I remember telling Mr Oakman that, if anyone was to be charged, it should be Dr. Burton.

Alexander Quigley was recalled, and examined by Mr. O’Rourke, and contradicted the evidence of Moore as to the severe fit, and what took place.

Eliza Campbell was recalled, and also contradicted the greater portion of Moore’s evidence with regard to the alleged fit, and that Moore told the deceased she was not in labour.

Blindon Burton, examined by Dr. Knox – I am a surgeon. I was called on to attend the late Mrs. Quigley on the 30th of July. I was called upon in the morning, and could not go. I told Quigley that I should get my fee, and that my conveyance was out of order. They sent a car for me in the afternoon. When I arrived, I found the deceased in bed. I made inquiries about the way she had been in, and the women told me she had been eight days in labour. I got all the information I could before I examined her. I found the woman in a state of extreme exhaustion. The pulse was 125 or 130. Doctor Burton then described the means which he had adopted in the case, and continued: – I returned again in about an hour, and she was in much the same way. I gave them directions to send me word next morning, and I got a few lines from them to say she was in the same state and had not rallied. I heard that evening that she died, and therefore I did not go to see her. I attribute her death to exhaustion – (after a pause) – a shock – nervous shock. I have no doubt but she was in labour. I think she must have been so some time. A tumor which I found on the scalp might have formed in this case in 24 hours.

Dr. Knox – Dr. Hume saw her last on Monday morning, 29th, and you saw her on Tuesday evening, 30th – that was 36 hours. Could it not be possible that she was in labour when you saw her, and not so when Dr. Hume saw her?

Witness – Well, the great exhaustion would have taken some time – it might have all taken place in 36 hours.

Cross-examined by Mr. McLean – I know that Dr. Hume lived near the house. I took my information from the women present, and they told me that Dr. Hume had refused to come; and besides, the case was so plain I required no information. I did not think it necessary to call in Dr Hume. I make it my practice not to call in another medical man in midwifery cases, at least in this part of the country. I might call in another medical man if I thought he was one who could give me any assistance. I did not think it right to tell the people when going away to call in Dr. Hume if there were any unfavourable symptoms. I would not be likely to send any patient to Dr. Hume. The woman was my patient. I did not use the stethescope to see if the child were alive before I used the perforator. I thought it right to endeavour to save the woman’s life without considering the case of the child. I am in the habit of using the perforator without holding consultation with another medical man. I consult no medical man in this neighbourhood, because my experience of their method of practice is not such as to cause me to consult them.

To Dr Knox – The woman had no convulsions while I was there. I have no recollection of being told anything of epilepsy.

Margaret Quigley, examined by Mr. O’Rourke – The deceased was my sister in law. I heard from Alex Quigley’s brother that Alexander told him that she had fits before this, and her sister told my daughter so.

Wm John Finton, examined by Mr O’Rourke – I remember the Wednesday before Mrs Quigley died. I went up to the doctor’s shop, from Quigley’s, after him. He told me to keep them women down there quiet, and I said, "It would be impossible to keep women quiet." (laughter) He said, "I believe most of the women of the town are there;" and I said "They are not all there," and he said "Between what are in the house, and round it, I think they are nearly all there." (laughter) I saw the doctor very well that night. I could not say he had any drink taken.

To Dr. Know – He was not the worse of drink.

To Dr. Hume – I never saw you drunk, or heard of you being drunk, during all your time in Crumlin.

Several other women gave evidence of the same character as that given by those previously examined. One woman, examined, said – My uncle Neddy told me that my uncle Alick told him that she had often had fits, and he held her between his knees until they were over, when everyone was in their beds.

Dr. Knox said he would issue a summons for Ned Quigley, as it was most important to have it decided whether the deceased had those fits previously or not.

This closed the case against Dr. Hume, and the Court adjourned until the next (Friday) morning, at eleven o’clock.

The following is an extract from the Belfast Newsletter dated Saturday 7th September 1861. It appears with permission of the Belfast Newsletter.

Important investigation in Crumlin. Second Day. (from our own reporter)

Yesterday, the investigation into the charges against Dr. Hume, of Crumlin, was resumed before Dr. Knox, P.L.M.I., in the Committee-room of the Crumlin Dispensary.

Mr A. O’Rourke appeared on the part of the Dispensary Committee, and Mr J McLean on the part of Dr. Hume.

Dr. Stronge attended, as on the previous day, to watch the evidence, having been summoned by the Hon Secretary to the committee.

Anne Jane McCorry was re-called, and examined by Dr. Knox – I said to Sarah Robb, the deceased’s sister "If you had seen her working in fits." She said "I would not think that anyway strange, for she was subject to them, and often had them."

Cross-examined by Mr O’Rourke – The deceased’s legs and hands and face were swelled long before she took ill. I heard she was nervous. My uncle Neddy told my father that he used to have to chase the birds off the bushes because they annoyed her. I never heard that she had epilepsy.

Alexander Quigley was re-called, and re-examined by Mr O’Rourke – The day I went for Dr. Burton I called first at Dr. Hume’s, and I was told by Mrs. Hume that he was away seeing a boy who had been hurt by a machine. That was between nine and ten o’clock. He never after that called at my house, to my knowledge.

Cross-examined by Mr McLean – I had no conversation with anyone about what I have now sworn since I was here yesterday. I had a conversation with William Campbell, my brother in law, last night about it. He told me that I forgot this bout seeing Mrs Hume. I said it today in the inn to Mr O’Rorke, and those who were there. I cannot explain why I swore that I told it to no one since yesterday, although I told it to my brother in law last night, and to Mr O’Rorke today. The boy had been sent for Dr. Burton before that. I knew when I went to Dr. Hume’s that Dr. Burton had been sent for.

William Campbell, examined by Mr O’Rourke – The deceased was my sister. She was the younger than I. I am 48 years old. She might have been about 6 years younger than I. She never had convulsions of fits all her life. I heard Alexander Quigley, my brother in law, state to Honorary Secretary of the committee that Dr. Hume said, when going away on Monday, that he would not come back. I cannot tell was it before the meeting of the committee or after it. I had no conversation with anyone since yesterday about this case.

To Dr. Knox – I asked Alex Quigley last night if he had mentioned that he went over on the morning before my sister died to ask him to come. That was on a Tuesday that he went over to Dr. Hume. He said he though it was mentioned.

Ned Quigley, examined by Mr O’Rourke – I knew the deceased Susanna Quigley. I knew her since she was ten years old. I never knew of her having convulsions or epilepsy. I never told any person, after her death, that I was not surprised at her having convulsions, for that she was subject to them. I never said to Mrs Thomas Quigley of Mrs McCorry that I had to hunt the birds off the trees, to keep them from disturbing her.

Cross -examined by Mr McLean – I see this woman, Mrs Mc Corry. I did not tell her that my brother Alick told me that his wife had often had fits.

Anne Jane McCorry contradicted her uncle, and persisted in her previous statement.

Wm McErrel, the Hon Secretary to the Dispensary Committee, examined by Mr O’Rourke – We had an examination of this case, and Alexander Quigley stated to us that Dr. Hume, on his last visit to Mrs. Quigley, on Monday, the 29th July, had said to the deceased, "You are making a fool of these women, but you need not think to make a fool of me; I will not come back to you." That was the point which the committee particularly wished for an inquiry on.

Cross-examined by Mr. McLean – I do not know that if that had not been stated that we would have asked for this inquiry.

This closed the case against Dr. Hume.

Dr. Hume examined by Dr Knox – I am medical officer of the dispensary here. This ticket (produced) was brought to me on the 19th of July, the day it was issued. I went immediately and visited Mrs Quigley. She complained of "flying pains" as she called them. I examined her. I satisfied myself that she was not in labour. I considered that it was what is called false pains ailed her only. There was nothing to lead any one to believe that she was then in labour. There were no symptoms of exhaustion. I ordered her 25 drops of tincture of opium and an aperient. I saw her the next day, and she was better – not suffering so much. Visited her the next day, Sunday 21st of July. I think it was that day she was up, going through the house, and said she was quite better. I called again to see her on Tuesday, 23rd July, and she did not complain of anything. – She was up and going through the house, and no-one in the house with her. I was sent for on the morning of Wednesday 24th. There was no labour then. Found that, as before, it was only false pains. I did not prescribe anything then. Her sister came over for me again in about two hours, and I told her that I knew her sister could not require me yet, and that I was going into the dispensary, and would be at hand if they wanted me. At twelve o’clock a woman named Palmer came for me, and I went. I found they were still false pains she was troubled with. I gave her another draught, with some drops of tincture of opium. I invariably told them – "The moment you see any signs of her getting worse, send for me." That night again, when I was coming riding in from seeing a patient, Alexander Quigley stopped me at the door, and I said, "Wait, and I will put in my horse; you could not hold him." I did so, and in five minutes I was over with her without waiting to change my wet clothes. I found her still suffering from false pains, and I prescribed for her another opiate, and wondered why the one I ordered early in the day did not take effect; but I have learned that they did not give it to her. I examined her again, and there was not the slightest sign of labour. I was called again the next morning (Thursday) at four o’clock. I found her in a sleepy stated after a fit. She was not convulsed in my presence then, but was that day afterwards. I went three times during the day to see her. I saw her in a fat. I considered it epileptic convulsion. It is my opinion that it was epilepsy. There were no more convulsions after that day, that I saw or heard of. The next three days I called once each day – Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I was not sent for on these days, but called, watching the case. I examined her each day, and found no symptoms of labour. Was sent for again on the morning of the 29th and I went immediately. I found no labour symptoms. I am certain she was not in labour then and that was Monday, the 29th. I considered it nervous apprehension. I told her she would not make a fool out of me. On that occasion I said – "When you see any real symptoms of labour, send for me at once." I never stated on any occasion or in any place, that I would not come again. I never was sent for to visit her again. There are eight dates entered in my book, and on some of the dates I paid more visits than one. At my last visit I informed the patient that there was no cause for any interference. On Tuesday, 30th July, I was called away to visit a boy threatened with lock-jaw. I returned home at about one o’clock and felt poorly myself and lay down to get a sleep. When lying a while, Mrs Hume came up and told me that Alexander Quigley had been there and asked for some medicine for his wife, and that she told him I was away, but she would not venture to give half an ounce of castor oil. And did so. He told her, she said, that his wife was no worse, and he did not leave any message for me to visit her. I said "I will go over and see her, however," and got up and came down to do so, and went out on the street, where I was told by a young woman named Suffern that Dr. Burton had come, or was coming. I went back into my own house, and asked if any message had been left for me to visit the deceased, and I was told "There was not." I did not think then that I should go to see her when she was under the care of Dr. Burton. I remained at home that evening, so that, if called in to aid Dr. Burton, or to see the woman, that I would be at hand.

Cross- examined by Mr O’Rourke – I think it was after eight o’clock on the morning of the 30th when I went away to see the boy. I returned at one o’clock, and lay in bed for about an hour. It occurred to me, when the girl Suffern told me that Dr Burton was coming, or had come, that I should not go over to see the woman – knowing the peculiar disposition of Dr. Burton, I did not want to get insulted. I do not think it the business of a dispensary doctor to force himself in when another doctor has been sent for.

To Dr. Knox – The pulse of deceased was never above a hundred, only during the fit on Thursday, 25th. The pulse was regular the whole time. There were no symptoms of exhaustion.

To Mr O’Rourke – If I had found that the convulsions were those arising from approaching labour, I might take means to accelerate labour.

Sarah Robb having been summoned that morning from the country, and having arrived, was examined by Mr. O’Rourke – I am sister to the deceased. I never knew her to take fits. Never knew any of the family to have fits. I know Anne Jane McCorry. I never told her that my sister was subject to fits. That conversation (read from Anne Jane McCorry’s evidence) never occurred between us.

Anne Jane McCorry positively asserted again that the conversation did take place.

Dr Stronge, examined by Mr O’Rourke – I hears the evidence in this case. I heard Dr Hume’s evidence. Having regard to the date on which he saw the convulsions first, and having regard to the loss of sight, which indicated an affection of the brain, and having regard to the swollen feet, which indicated a diseased state of the kidneys, I would not leave the case for more than a few hours. The symptoms make it such a case as I would not leave more than a few hours.

To Dr. Knox – From what I have heard, I am not prepared to say what class of convulsions the deceased was affected with, without testing the secretion from the kidneys.

To Mr. O’Rourke – I think from the long existence of the convulsions, the loss of sight, and the swelled feet, it was a case for the medical gentleman to take into consideration whether he should not accelerate the labour.

Dr. Hume – But the convulsions were not long continued. No convulsions occurred from Thursday the 25th July.

Witness (to Dr Knox) – From Dr. Hume’s description of the case, I would not think it one in which to accelerate labour. It is not easy for a physician to give a satisfactory decision on a case which he has not seen.

To Dr. Hume – Convulsions having once appeared, I would not leave the case for more than a few hours. I would consider it one of the most important cases in midwifery, requiring the constant attendance of the surgeon.

To Mr. McLean – Other medical men might have a different opinion from mine on the case.

Second charge against Dr. Hume.

Benjamin Frizell, examined by Mr O’Rourke – My mother in law gave Dr. Hume a ticket. I went for Dr. Hume when my wife took ill. That was in April last. I went for him before breakfast time, and he was not at home. I saw Mrs Hume, and she told me where I would get him at Mr. Allen’s. I went to Mr. Allen’s and saw the doctor. It was dispensary day, and he said he would come at twelve o’clock, after the dispensary hour, but if she were worse to come up for him. I came up and found him in the dispensary. I went away again and he said he would follow me. My wife delivered before I returned from the dispensary. She got well, and the child is living. I do not know of the doctor visiting her at all. When I met Dr. Hume at Mr Allen’s he seemed very willing to come, but he had to go to the dispensary. The doctor, I heard, had been out near our house and turned again, and did not come on. I cannot say why he turned.

To Mr. McLean – There was a skilled woman with my wife when I came for the doctor.

Anne Frizell, examined by Mr O’Rourke – I was confined of my last child on the 10th of April. I took ill between one and two o’clock in the morning. The child was born about eleven o’clock that morning. I was no worse than on previous occasions. The doctor was not there when I was delivered, nor did he visit me at all. It was Nancy Mallin attended me. The doctor was coming out, and was turned back I believe, by Nancy Mallin.

Nancy Mallin, examined by Mr O’Rourke – I attended Mrs Frizell. I went to her at four o’clock in the morning. She was not bad then, but got worse about seven o’clock, and I sent her husband for the doctor. The baby was born before Frizell could have been in Crumlin the last time. I was away before he returned. I saw Dr. Hume going out, and I told him the woman was all right, and that there was no occasion for him. I joked the doctor and said "I’ll not let you go to my patient." I assured him she was quite safe, and then he went back.

To Mr McLean – I attend a great many cases, and have done so for many years. I have sent for Dr. Hume at different times, and he has always been most attentive. I promised Dr. Hume that I would let him know the next day how the woman was, and I called and did so.

Dr. Hume, examined by Mr McLean – On the 27th of March a visiting ticket was presented to me at the dispensary by Mrs Frizell’s mother. It was dated the 22nd, and the woman said her daughter had been bad when they got the ticket, but that she had got better. Gave her some medicine, and I heard no more of the case until that day fortnight, the morning of the 10th of April. I was away visiting two dispensary patients and one private patient, Mr. Allen. Mr. Allen’s is between Crumlin and Frizell’s. Frizell came to me there, and I told him as it was only ordinary labour I would go and attend the dispensary, and if she got worse to come back and tell me. He came back and told me in the dispensary that she was worse. I told him to go over and saddle my horse, and I would follow him out. As soon as my dispensary business was over I rode out, and about halfway I saw Nancy Mullin, who told me the child was born, and all was right and well. I made inquiries and satisfied myself that all was right. I told her to report to me the next day the state of the woman. The mother of the woman did call the next day, and said her daughter was all right, and I gave her some castor oil for her.

Cross examined by Mr O’Rourke – I considered the attendance at the dispensary my primary duty when the case was only an ordinary one. When I met Mrs. Mallin I took her word for it, and returned. I did not visit her at all on the ticket. Frizell’s house is about three Irish miles from Crumlin.

This close the investigation into the second charge.

A Third complaint against Dr. Hume

A man nanned John Graham then appeared before Dr. Know, and stated that he called on Dr. Hume, in November last, to attend his wife. The doctor did not attend then. He said he was ill and could not go then. He came out in the morning very early and did all he could for her. The child was born before I got home myself. The doctor was most attentive to her after. My wife has had nine children. This was the first time the doctor was sent for. It was twelve o’clock at night when I came for the doctor. He told me that he was not well, and had taken something, and could not go out in the cold. I have no complaint to make against the doctor at all, only that I was sent for to come here. The child was born alive, and is living well now. The doctor came between five and six o’clock in the morning.

Dr. Hume stated that, as near as he recollected the facts, a visiting ticket was left in by the woman herself, about a month or six weeks before she took ill, and she said I would be sent for when required. The husband came when she was ill, and I was suffering from lumbago. I had taken a sweating draught and was in a great perspiration. I think it was between one and two o’clock. I told him it would endanger my life then, but I would go as soon as I could – as soon as I cooled a little. I went about four o’clock, and was there about five o’clock. The child had been born, but my services were required, and I did what was necessary for the woman.

This closed the proceedings, and the evidence will, of course, be sent up to the Poor-law Commissioners for their consideration and decision upon it.

Death Notice — Isabella Wilhemina Wilson

The following is an extract from the Northern Whig dated 20 07 1867

Death – Wilson, July 19 at Railway Street, Lisburn, Isabella Wilhemina, infant daughter of Mr. William Wilson, aged on year and five months. Her remains will be removed for interment in Crumlin Burying ground on this (Saturday) morning at twelve o’clock.

William Crossan and wife v George Alexander Hume, M.D.

The following is an extract from the Belfast Newsletter dated 9th March 1868. It appears with permission of the Belfast Newsletter.

County of Antrim.
Crown Court.

On Saturday morning at ten o’clock, the Hon. Judge Battersby took his seat in the Crown Court. (Before a special Jury).

William Crossan and wife v George Alexander Hume, M.D.

Counsel for the plaintiffs- Messrs. Law Q.C., Falkiner, Q.C., and McMahon. Attorney – Mr. John Rea.

Counsel for the defendant – Messrs Joy, Q.C., Porter and Kisbey. Attorneys – Messrs. James McLean & Boyle.

Mr McMahon opened the pleadings. The action was one of trespass, and in the first count the Plaintiff complained that the defendant assaulted and beat his (plaintiff’s) wife, and the second was to pay plaintiff for consequential injury to him by that assault. The fourth count averred that the defendant feloniously assaulted plaintiff’s wife. The defendant denied these acts complained of, and the issue the jury had to try was whether he was guilty of the said acts as alleged. Damages were laid at £7000.

Mr. Law Q.C., in stating plaintiff’s case said it was one of a very serious nature, and one, perhaps, of as distressing a nature as had been brought before the attention of a jury at any recent Assizes in this county. The plaintiff and Mrs Crossan were people of a respectable character and of respectable station, considering their position in life, and Mrs Crossan, he believed, was the daughter of very respectable parents in the neighbourhood of Crumlin, where, to the present day, the plaintiff and his wife still resided, the plaintiff himself having been for some years schoolmaster of a National school near Crumlin. The defendant, Dr. Hume was undoubtedly also a person in a very respectable position in society – a man in such a position as one would think ought to have prevented him from being implicated in such a transaction as they had got to try. They had heard from Mr. McMahon that the charge now brought against Dr. Hume was in substance this – that, in violation, in fact, of his professional character, which guaranteed to every man who followed that noble profession free right of entrance into every house within his district; that, disregarding the very considerations which ought to have influenced him, he, on a particular occasion, which would be specified more particularly to them presently, assaulted the plaintiff, Mrs Crossan. Finding her alone in her own house, Dr. Hume, as would be told to the jury by her, pulled and dragged her about in that house, she struggling with him for some time. That was, in point of law, an assault. Dr. Hume followed up that assault, and the consequences followed which were detailed in the last count. Upon the occasion on which this occurred there was no person in the house with the exception of an infant child, which was lying unconscious in its cradle. That child had been born on the previous 29th of March, and it was on that occasion that Dr. Hume for the first time attended Mrs. Crossan. He afterwards paid her one more visit on the 31st of March, but no further visit was paid by Dr. Hume from the 31st of March, 1866, until they came close upon the particular period in question. Mr. Law having referred at some length to the nature of the evidence which would be given in support of the case for the plaintiff, went on to say that no gentleman in this country occupied a higher position than the members of the profession to which Dr. Hume belonged. They were alleviators of suffering. It was their duty to go from house to house relieving pain; but Dr. Hume, in place of giving comfort and relief, had brought affliction and misery to this husband and wife. If they believed the evidence of the plaintiff’s wife, he would ask them to give substantial damages, and if they believed that Dr. Hume had been guilty of the acts alleged, it was a duty they owed to society and themselves to say that he was a disgrace to society, and that they had no hesitation in the deprecation of his conduct.

Catherine Anne Crossan was then examined by Mr. Falkiner, and stated that she was the wife of William Crossan. She was twenty five years of age. Her father lived in the parish of Glenavy and was a well off man. Her mother was also alive. Witness was married in 1863 by the Rev. Mr. Irvine, then curate of Glenavy. The Rev Johnston Smyth had been the clergyman of the parish in her earlier days, and she had attended his Sunday School. Her husband, when she married him, was teacher in the National School at Killead. Since her marriage she had two children – one living and one dead. Dr. Bell attended her at the birth of the first child and Dr. Hume at the birth of the second. Dr Hume had never attended her professionally before that, nor did he visit at her father’s house as medical attendant that she recollected. His dispensary was better than two miles from her husband’s house. She had been told that Dr. Hume was at her house on the 12th November, but she was from home. She did not send for him to visit her in Nov., as she was perfectly well. Previous to that she had met Dr. Hume in Mrs Mair’s house, which was separated from her husband’s by a waste house, in which hay and potatoes were kept. Mrs. Mairs had asked to come in as her daughter was ill. That was on the evening of the 29th October. Dr. Hume was sent for to attend Mrs Mairs’s daughter and stayed till nine or ten o’clock that night. While she was in Mrs Mair’s, Dr Hume wanted to feel her (witness’s ) pulse, Dr. Hume did feel her pulse that time. Some time after her husband came in and told her that a girl called Ingram wanted to see her in her own house. Witness rose up to go to her own house, and Dr. Hume said that he wanted to see Miss Ingram also about her sister, and he accompanied her to her own house, and when they went in, he asked Miss Ingram how her sister was. He told Miss Ingram that whatever she had to say to her (witness) to say is fast, as he had to conduct her again to Mrs Mairs’s for her tea. She remained with Miss Ingram about two or three minutes, and they went back to Mrs. Mairs’s in company with the doctor. When they went back tea prepared. She next saw Dr. Hume on the 18th of November. On that day, shortly before twelve o’clock, he came in. Her husband at that time was at school. Dr. Hume came to the house on horseback. She was in the kitchen preparing a little soup when the doctor opened the door, and came in to where she was. When he came in he said it was a fine day, or something similar to that. He told her that he had got the dispute settled between her parents and brother. He had previously told her in Mairs’s that a dispute had happened between her parents and brother. He next told her on the 18th November that her brother had left the place; that he had got all agreed, and that all was good friendship. He said her brother had told her parents did not act fairly with her, and they had not given her her share. She replied that she had got her share, and that he had got some money and other articles, which were the same as money. Up to the 29th of October Dr. Hume had nothing to do with the affairs of their family. She did not on the 29th October ask him to interfere or take any part in their affairs. He told her on the 18th that he would get some money from her father for her, and she told him not to do so, for her husband would not allow it. He told her that her mother did not like her (witness’s) husband, and when she asked him how could her mother say so he replied that she was under that impression. Witness burst out crying, knowing that up to that time her husband and parents had been on good friendship. Dr Hume then came forward to put his arms round her, and she struggled with him through the house for some time until she got in a weak, feeble state. (The time witness then described the acts committed by Dr. Hume, as alleged in the summons and plaint.) Since that time her health had been very bad. Her husband observed the change in her health, and frequently asked her what was wrong with her, but she merely replied that she was ill. She first told her husband what had occurred about three weeks afterwards. Before she told her husband he had sent for Dr. Hume to attend her. When Dr. Hume came and looked at her he said she looked very ill. She did not speak for some time, and he then asked her what was the matter with her. She replied that he had been the cause of all this, and he told her to hold her tongue, for she would only make a country’s talk of herself, and the people wouldn’t believe her. She said she would keep his villainous works no longer secret, and he again told her to hold her tongue, and he would send her some medicine that would make her all right. She told him that she would have nothing to do with his medicine, and he then left. She told her husband that morning. She had remained ill ever since. Her husband had taken her to Drs. Speering, Fagan and Pirrie.

Cross-examined by Mr Joy, Q.C. – I went to Dr. Speering in January. I don’t recollect Dr. Hume ever visiting my first child during its illness. There is nothing between our house and Mairs’s except the waste house I have told you of. On the day that Dr. Hume came the child was lying in its cradle. There is a window opening from the kitchen into the street. Mrs Mairs’s daughter came in to me about a quarter of an hour after the doctor had left. I prepared the soup after Dr. Hume left, and went to my husband at the school with it. It was after Miss Mairs came in that I went to the school with the soup. My husband gets £18 a year from the National Board, and £10 a year from the vicar of the parish, and the school fees besides. There are about thirty-four of thirty-five children attending the school on an average. The school-house is about half a mile from our dwelling house. I couldn’t say that, on the 18th of November, Dr. Hume’s horse was tied to the latch of the door of the house. I never asked the doctor to try and get something for myself and my husband. I got some money and a cow when I got married. I can’t tell how much money I got. My husband was teaching a school at the time we got married. Dr Hume is patron of the school he was teaching before we got married. My husband went for some time to a training school. I don’t know whether Dr Hume assisted in getting him to that training school. My husband was at home on that day Dr Hume came in December, but he was not in the house. I never asked Dr. Hume for £5. My husband came in about five of six minutes after Dr Hume left on the second day. I know a place called Oldstone, but I am not sure how many miles it is from our house. I was at the steeple-chases there with my husband, on the 21st November. We went between nine and ten o’clock in the morning, and it was about twenty minutes past five o’clock when we returned. We walked both to Oldstone and from it. I don’t remember a man named Dick complimenting me on how well I walked. I got a sandwich at Oldstone from the Rev. Mr. Bickerstaff’s governess, and I got half a glass of ginger wine with my husband and a Mr Erskine. Before I told my husband about what had occurred on the 18th November, I made him promise that he would not kill me, or do something wrong on me.

To his Lordship – I told him all that I have been telling here today. When I told him, he prepared himself for school, took no breakfast, and went out without speaking to me. He afterwards came home, as he had to give up teaching school that day. When he came home he tool some medicine.

To Mr Joy – Dr. Hume has attended the dispensary at Crumlin as long as I remember, and I believe he is one of the coroners for the County of Antrim.

William Crossan, husband of the last witness was then examined at great length by Mr. McMahon as to the date on which his wife had first informed him of what had occurred on the 18th November. He also deposed to the state of his wife’s health since that date, and to the affliction it had caused him.

On cross-examination by Mr Porter, the witness stated that on the second day Dr. Hume visited the house, he was obliged to remain from school, through illness. He was not in the house when Dr. Hume came in, nor did he see him go in. His illness was not a sham. He generally returned from school at four o’clock in the evening. He first took his wife to Dr. Speering on the 10th of Jan.

John Glendinning, father of the first witness, was next examined by Mr. Falkiner, and proved that Dr. Hume had never spoken to him about his daughter’s fortune.

Elizabeth Glendinning, wife of the last witness, gave corroborative testimony.

Rev Edward Johnston Smythe was next called and was about being examined as to the character of a female plaintiff, when Mr Joy objected to the evidence, and it was not received.

Rev. Richard Irvine deposed to having married the plaintiff in the parish church of Glenavy, where he had formerly been curate, prior to his transfer to Belfast.

Sarah Osborne, governess, in the service of the Rev. Mr. Bickerstaff corroborated the testimony of Mrs. Crossan with regard to meeting her at the steeplechases at Oldstone on the 21st Nov. Mrs Crossan appeared to be very dull on that day.

Martha Ingram was next examined, and deposed to having heard the observations referred to by Mrs crossan made by Dr Hume, in Mr. Carson’s house, on the night of the 29th October.

Isabella Mairs stated, in answer to Mr. Law, that on the 18th November she saw Dr. Hume’s horse standing at the door of Crossan’s house for about twenty minutes. On the night of the 29th October she heard the doctor ask to get feeling Mrs Crossan’s pulse. On Sunday week, Dr. Hume came to her aunt’s house and asked if she heard any noise in Crossan’s house while he was there, and she told him she had not.

Wm. Bell was examined by Mr Falkiner, and stated that on the 18th of November, he saw Dr Hume going on horseback in the direction of Crossan’s house. He afterwards saw the horse standing at the door of Crossan’s house.

Drs Fagan and Pirrie having been examined as to the cause of Mrs Crossan’s illness. The case for the plaintiff closed at a quarter to six o’clock and the court adjourned till ten o’clock this (Monday) morning, when the hearing of the case will be resumed.

The following is an extract from the Belfast Newsletter dated 10th March 1868. It appears with permission of the Belfast Newsletter.

County of Antrim.
Crown Court.

Yesterday morning, the Hon. Judge Battersby took his seat in the Crown Court at ten o‘clock.

William Crossan and wife v George Alexander Hume, M.D.

The hearing of this case, which stood adjourned from Saturday evening was resumed at the sitting of the court.

Mr Joy Q.C., proceeded to address the jury for the defendant. He was sure they would all agree with the observations made by Mr Law in his opening statement for the plaintiffs, that this was a very distressing case, for that most assuredly it must be justly called, and he (Mr Joy) confessed he had seldom risen to address a jury under circumstances of greater responsibility that that which he felt on the present occasion. He would be able on the part of the defendant, to produce such evidence as would lead their minds to the conclusion that it was sought to make Dr. Hume the victim of a foul conspiracy. They would all agree with him that there was no man in the community more likely to be made victim of a case of this kind than a physician practising in the country. Attending females in his district from time to time, he was the most likely man to be fixed upon – more likely than any other man in the community; and they all knew from experience that such charges had been frequently made from time to time against medical men, and almost as frequently refuted, and even at the present Assizes they had a specimen of a case of that kind. Now, his client stood in the position of a medical practitioner in a rural district in this County of Antrim. He had practised as a physician for twenty eight years, and he had been the doctor of a dispensary, entrusted with the discharge of most responsible and most arduous duties, and, he (Mr Joy) might add, as ill paid duties as were discharged by any man in this country, no matter what his profession might be. Dr Hume, who had been for fifteen years entrusted with the discharge of those duties, was a married man for the last nineteen years. His wife was still living, and they had a number of children, the youngest of whom was only six or seven years old. He (Mr Joy) asked them were not the probabilities as strong as probabilities normally speaking, could be against the charge that was now made, and ought it not to require the strongest possible evidence – evidence uncontradicted and corroborated by collateral circumstances – before any jury would bring their minds to the conclusion that there was one particle of truthfulness in such a charge, made against such a man, under any circumstance? In addition to his being a physician for 28 years, in addition to his having been entrusted with the care of the dispensary for more than fifteen years, it was only recently that he had the honor put upon him of being elected one of the coroners of the County of Antrim; and did that not show that up to the present time his conduct had been such as no man could be ashamed of, and did it not speak volumes on his behalf if he, on his solemn oath, contradicted almost every statement which had been made by that unhappy woman, Mrs Crossan?

Dr Hume was respectably connected as well as respectably married. He had a brother who was well known to all of them – the Rev. Dr Hume of Liverpool – who had lately been engaged in the most enterprising of missions now existing. Mr Joy having referred to the nature of the evidence which would be given for the defence, concluded by stating that if the jury believed the story of the plaintiff and his wife to be a concocted falsehood, and a foul conspiracy, he trusted they would give Dr Hume the benefit of the verdict proceeding from men of their influence, their individual character, and their known integrity, and that they would send him from the court as free from blame and censure, as regarded his moral character, as hitherto he had maintained it in the district in which he lived, the country in which he resided, and amongst all who had the honor and pleasure of his acquaintance.

George Alexander Hume MD, examined by Mr Porter – I am a medical man. I know the plaintiff and his wife. I know Wm. Crossan for ten years. I know Mrs Crossan for three or four years. Was acquainted with her father and mother. Her maiden name is Glendinning. I attended her in her last confinement, but not in the previous one. I knew her father as a farm servant in the house of my mother in law for a long time. John Glendinning and his wife came into my surgery in the month of October last and asked to see Mrs Hume. I showed them into her room, where she was sitting alone. A short time after she came out said John Glendinning requested me to interfere between him and his son Tommy, who was going to law with him about a house which the father desired possession of. I went into the room, and John Glendinning stated to me that he was willing to pay his son Tommy £20 if he ould leave the house. Ultimately I saw Thomas Glendinning, and I told him I would see the £20 paid to him if he would give up the house. He agreed to this, and I saw the money paid. On the 29th October Crossan came to me, and asked me to attend a girl called Isabella Mairs, who lived next door to hi. On the way to the house I had a conversation with him. He asked me if it was true that I got £20 for Thomas Glendinning. I said it was, that the receipt for it was lying in my house at that moment. That was more, he said, than he ever got from John Glendinning. I observed that his father in law had told me a different story – that he had said to me that he had given £20 to each of his married daughters, and he was determined to make all his children alike. Crossan stated that he had only got from his father in law a cow, which he sold for £8, and which originally had only cost £2. He then asked me to do something for him and I said I would. He observed that his circumstances were very pinched. I told him that I would probably see his mother in law when she called for the receipt, and I would then speak to her. Crossan accompanied me to Mairs’s house and then went into his own, which is nect to that of Mairs and under the same thatch. When I went into Mairs’s I found Mrs Campbell, the mother of the patient, Mrs Crossan, I think, and the grandmother of the patient. I stopped in the house for several hours. I did not ask Mrs Crossan to come to me that I might feel her pulse. I did not make an improper remark to Mrs Crossan. Mrs Crossan told me a girl named Ingram whom I had been attending was in her house, and I went in to see how she was, and came out again immediately. I returned to Mairs’s house, and took tea, which had been prepared for me, as I had received an urgent message to go to the house of Mr. Neill. During the evening I made no improper advances to her. I made no advances to her that I could not also have made with propriety to the noblest lady in the land. While I was in the sick room the conversation turned on the £20 I had got for Thomas Glendinning, and Mrs Crossan asked me to try and get the same for her. To the best of my recollection Mrs Campbell was in the room, and might have heard this.

To his Lordship – The conversation occurred in the sick room, where we also had the tea.

To Mr Porter – I consented to speak to her mother. I preferred to speak to her, as “Betty” carried the purse. As I was leaving the house Crossan asked me to try and get him a better situation, as his present one barely supported him; and he and his wife followed me, and thanked me. I saw the female plaintiff on the 7th or 8th of the next month. Mrs Hume was with me on that occasion I mentioned, and told Mrs Crossan that I was sorry Mrs Glendinning had got the receipt in my absence, so that I could not speak to her, but that I would do so on the firt opportunity. On the 18th of October I had to go and visit a daughter of Mr. Neills. As I was coming home I intended to call at Mrs Mairs’s. I called at Crossan’s first, and , as I was going in, I fastened the bridle of my horse, which I was riding on that day, to the door frame. When I went into the kitchen Mrs Crossan and her child were there. I told her I had seen her mother on Thursday, she having called in my house on some business with Mrs Hume. I said I had done all I could to get her mother to give them some assistance – that her mother positively refused to give her anything – that she said they had got a great deal more than had been represented – that Crossan had been processed for £3 or £4, the price of the clothes he had been married in, and that he had got the money from her (his mother in law), and that, in addition to that, she allowed her son John to purchase goods for them to the extent of £6 or £7 worth, which had never been paid for. I told her that her mother, Mrs Glendinning, had wound up a long harangue of misdeeds by stating that their extravagance would bring them to the poor-house. She also observed that she did not believe that they would be able to live their live together, as Crossan himself was overbearing, hasty, and bad to her, and her husband would not give them a shilling, as he might have to bring home his daughter and support her. Mrs crossan said she had not got near so much as he had represented, and entreated me to try again. I did not promise to do so. Nothing else happened on that occasion that I recollect. I did not tell her not to cry, as I would be sorry to see her injured. I did not go forward to where she was standing and attempt to put my arms around her. She did not struggle for a long time in my arms. I did not do any of those other acts with which I am so monstrously charged. So sar as I recollect I did not touch her further than by shaking hands with her. I don’t think I was in the house longer than fifteen minutes. I stopped at Mairs’s for a short time, and then went home. The first intimation I received that Mrs Crossan was ill was on the 11th December, and I was requested to call and see her. I came to the house the next day, and asked her what was the matter with her. She said there was not much, and asked "Have you seen my mother since?" I told her that I had not, and that I would give myself no further trouble in the matter. She then asked me to do so. She was displayed, and told me she would be no more than that out of my road. I said she was an exceedingly impertinent "hussy," or something like that, and left the house immediately. I then went into Mairs’s to see the child. Before I left the place I called at Mrs Crossan’s and told her I would send her the necessary medicine if her husband called and told me what was wrong with her. I received a letter on the 13th of December, from her husband, statting that I was the cause of her affliction, and asking for an explanation. I did not answer this letter, and I did not hear from either of them until I received the summons and plaint from Mr. Rea.

Cross-examined by Mr Joy – I know that Glendinning, father of Mrs Crossan, owns the farm, but the wife always carries the purse. Mrs. Glendinning ia a very greedy woman, and I would have very little confidence in her. I at first intended to produce William Glendinning and John Glendinning. On the 12th of December I went to the dispensary with the latter, and asked him by the way what was wrong with his daughter. He said in his usual way "I heard no complaints." I changed my mind as to producing him when I heard all the Crossans were enlisted in this conspiracy. Persons advised me against producing them as it would be dangerous. I intended also to examine W. Crossan, the plaintiff. As I trusted he would tell truth. I and a person named Barbour talked to Mrs Mairs. I went to ascertain if I could find out anything concerning this case. I asked her if she knew anything of this monstrous charge. She said she did, and told it was brought against me for assaulting Mrs Crossan and for otherwise injuring her.

To His Lordship – I never attended the plaintiff officially, but I may have prescribed some trivial things for him.

To Mr Law – I believe my friends say there is a conspiracy against me. There are parties in the court who had told him that the Crossans were getting up a conspiracy. I received information against the character of the Crossans. In intended to produce them, subject to the approval of the counsel.

To Mr. Porter – I am a married man, and have five children. My wife is at present in court.

Mrs Hume was examined by Mr. Kisbey, and gave corroborative evidence. She said that she and her sister had purchased the farm for John Glendinning. She had been residing with Dr. Hume since October last.

Cross -examined by Mr McMahon – When I saw the letter of the 30th of November I ordered him to take no notice of it. We consulted about the letter.

Mr McMahon – Why did you consult together about the letter?

Witness – The reason we consulted together about the letter was that I considered that in it a charge was brought against him for the purpose of extorting money.

His Lordship – Take that answer, Mr. McMahon for asking the question.

Master Walter Hume and Mrs Isabella Campbell were examined by Mr Porter and gave corroborative evidence.

Mrs Campbell cross examined by Mr Law – dr Hume came to me and my daughter with reference to a situation. During the conversation we spoke of the charge against him, and he said he was perfectly clear of it, and I said I believe he was.

Dr. Speering of Antrim was examined by Mr Joy, at some length, with reference to the illness of Mrs Crossan. The evidence was totally unfit for publication.

Mr Falkiner cross examined the witness.

Thomas Dick was examined by Mr Kisbey and said he saw the plaintiffs at the Oldstone races. He walked with Mrs Crossan for about a mile and she was exceedingly lively, and in good spirits. He left them at a public house.

Cross examined by Mr McMahon – I am probably fond of a drink myself when I get one.

Andrew Barbour was produced by defencant for examination.

Mr Falkiner – What have you to say against these people?

Witness – I have nothing to say against them.

Mr Falkiner – Then get out of that.

His Lordship (to witness) – You need not answer any illegal questions.

Mr Falkiner – Have you being going about the country telling stories about these people?

Witness – No

Mr Falkiner – It was asserted that there was a conspiracy, and it should have been proved.

Mr Porter and Mr Falkiner addressed the jury for their clients.

His Lordship said he would adjourn the court till ten o’clock this (Tuesday) morning, when he would charge the jury.

The following is an extract from the Belfast Newsletter dated Wednesday 11th March 1868. It appears with permission of the Belfast Newsletter.

County of Antrim.
Crown Court. (Before the Hon Judge Battersby)

William Crossan and wife v George Alexander Hume, M.D.

At the sitting of the Court the hearing of this case which stood adjourned from the previous evening was resumed.

His Lordship proceeded to charge the jury. He said that the only two questions they had to try in the case were whether the defendant feloniously assaulted the plaintiff’s wife and whether her story was true or not. It appeared that the plaintiff and his wife had been acquainted with the defendant for some years but not intimately. In March 66 the defendant as a medical practitioner, had attended the plaintiff’s wife in her confinement, and from that time up to the 29th October 1866 nothing appeared to have taken place between them, nor did they appear ever to have met up to that time. The plaintiffs, as had been sworn to them in evidence, had been people in a respectable walk of like – he being a teacher under the National Board receiving £30 a year, and both he and his wife were persons of intelligence, and very good specimens of the class to which they belonged. Mrs Crossan was the daughter of people who appeared to be intelligent and respectable. The defendant filled the office of Coroner, and was a medical practitioner, having a dispensary in the neighbourhood where Mrs Crossan lived and therefore he was in a very respectable position in life; and it was between those parties they had to judge. It was a case of the most painful nature, and it was impossible to over-estimate the importance of it to the parties who were concerned. If the plaintiffs’ story was true, they had sustained a gross injury; and, if the defendant’s story was true, the plaintiffs were conspirators of the very basest kind. His Lordship then reviewed the evidence at some length, and commented on the fact that no evidence had been given to sustain a charge of conspiracy against the plaintiffs. In conclusion, his lordship stated he had no doubt, however unpleasant it might be, that the injury would do justice between the parties. The case was one that must be dealt with, and they would have to find as between the parties either one way or the other, although the verdict would lead to the most unfortunate consequences to the parties against whom it was found.

The jury retired to consider their verdict, and after and absence of twenty five minutes returned to court when The Foreman stated there was no chance of their agreeing.

His Lordship (to Mr Falkiner) – Shall I send them back or discharge them?

The Foreman – We don’t believe there is the slightest chance of our agreeing to a verdict

Mr. Falkiner – These gentlemen are men of strong brains, and are not likely to agree.

Mr Law – We’ll leave the matter in your Lordship’s hands

His Lordship – If both sides leave it to me I’ll discharge them

Mr Falkiner – If the Foreman states there is no chance of them agreeing it would be useless to detain them

The Foreman – Not the slightest chance

Mr Falkiner – Then it would only be imprisoning them to keep them.

His Lordship ( to the jury) – If I can assist you in any was I shall be most happy to do so.

Several Jurors – It would be useless

Mr. Law – it is very much to be regretted that you cannot agree.

Mr Falkiner – I know the jury very well, and I don’t think anything would result in detaining them here. The same thing would happen at nine o’clock at night.

His Lordship – You know them far better than I do

Mr Falkiner – It is only a fair compliment to pay them. When such gentlemen as are in the box form a strong masculine opinion they are not going to change that opinion.

His Lordship (to the jury) – Are you all quite determined to divide?

Several Jurors – We are, my Lord

The Foreman – If it was a question of money we might come o a conclusion, but as it is a question of right and wrong there is no chance of our agreeing.

His Lordship then discharge the jury.

Counsel for the plaintiffs – Messrs Law QC, Falkiner QC, and McMahon. Attorney – Mr Rea.

Counsel for the defendants – Messrs Joy QC., Porter, and Kisbey. Attorneys – Messrs James McLean and Boyle.

This concluded the business in the Crown Court, and his lordship adjourned.

Poachers Fined

The following is an extract from the Belfast newsletter dated 28th march 1877 and appears with permission of the Belfast Newsletter.

Caution to poachers.

At the Crumlin petty sessions, on Monday (before Charles E McClintock, Esq., J.P.), two men, named Matthew Alexander and John Murdock, were summoned, at the suit of Mr. William Thompson, Mr Thomas Green and Mr Samuel McClurg, for trespassing in pursuit of game over their lands, on the estate of Sir Richard Wallace, Bart., on the 18th of February last.

Mr. Wellington Young, solicitor, Lisburn, prosecuted on behalf of Sir Richard Wallace.

Mr. Young stated that it was a very gross case of trespass, as the defendants, with three others who had escaped, were found by the caretaker of Sir Richard Wallace trespassing on the land of the complainants, accompanied by five dogs. The caretaker succeeded, after a long chase, in arresting one of the defendants (Murdock), and found in a large pocket of his coat, which was evidently made for the purpose, a dead hare. The other defendant (Alexander), although not caught, was identified by the caretaker. The trespass occurred on a Sunday morning, which was the usual day chosen by poachers for carrying on their business. He (Mr. Young) would prove the facts as stated by him, and would ask his Worship to impose a substantial penalty, as it was not only unlawful, but absolutely cruel, to kill hares at this season of the year.

Evidence in support of the case having been given by James Evans.

Alexander pleaded guilty, and service of summons having been proved on the other defendant, Murdock.

His Worship fined each of them in £10 Irish with the alternative of one month’s imprisonment, remarking that it was as gross a case of trespass as could possibly be, and, in fact, amounted to larceny. He had the power of fining the defendants £10 in each of the three cases against them, which would amount to £30.

Death Notice — Eliza Berryhill

The following extract is from The Lisburn Standard dated Saturday 16th July 1887

Berryhill, July 11th, at Crumlin, Eliza, wife of John Berryhill.

Death Notice – Robert English

The following extract is from The Lisburn Standard, Saturday March 23rd 1889.

Deaths – English – February 27, at the Castle, Elmina, Gold Coast, Africa, Robert English M.D., M.CH., Assistant-Colonial Surgeon, youngest son of Joseph English of Crumlin, County Antrim.

June Fair

The following is an extract from the Lisburn Standard 1 June 1889

Fairs for the ensuing week: Crumlin – Monday June 3rd.

Death Notice — Davison

The following is an extract from The Lisburn Standard – Saturday, August 30th 1890


Davison – August 25, at his residence, "Christie’s Hill," near Crumlin, James Davison.

Diamond Jubilee Celebrations

Extract from the Lisburn Herald 26th June 1897


The people of Crumlin celebrated the Diamond Jubilee on 22nd inst. By a general holiday throughout the town and district. Flags were prominently displayed from all the principal houses, and every effort was made to enliven the scene and mark the day as being one of universal rejoicing. Towards evening the streets became crowded with those who had come in from the outlying districts to see the burning of a huge bonfire and a display of fireworks, which had been generously subscribed for by the townspeople. The bonfire, standing over 25 feet high, had been erected in the market field, and was set fire to soon after 9.20, in the presence of a most enthusiastic crowd of spectators. A brilliant blaze was kept up for nearly two hours, during part of which time a fine display of fireworks was given, which proved a great attraction, and afforded all present much amusement. The handsome clock tower, erected as a memorial of the late Rev. A.H. Pakenham, was specially illuminated for the occasion, and presented a novel and pleasing spectacle. The crowd eventually dispersed, with frequent expressions of satisfaction at the successful nature of such an antique celebration, which was generally voted worthy of the occasion.

Constable Samuel Smith

The following is an extract from The Lisburn Herald dated 23rd April 1898.

Constabulary Inquiry at Crumlin

A Constabulary Court of Inquiry consisting of District-Inspector MacGee (Lisburn0 president, and District-Inspector Hardy, Ballymena, was held in the day-room of Crumlin Police Barracks on Thursday forenoon for the purpose of investigating charges preferred by Sergeant Smith against Constable Samuel Smith. The charges were as follows: – Tippling from 2nd to 18th March 1898; (2) When barrack orderly on Sunday 6th March procuring whiskey; (3) speaking disrespectfully of his sergeant on 18th March; (4) failing to attend 5.20 train when on village duty on 23rd March; (5) insubordination to his sergeant on same date. Mr. Hurst, D.I., prosecuted; and Mr. W.G. Maginess, Lisburn, appeared for the accused constable. The evidence will be submitted to the Inspector-General, and his decision made known in due course.

Sudden Death — Hugh Mullan

The following is from the Lisburn Herald dated 14th May 1898.

Sudden death at Crumlin

Information was conveyed to the constabulary on Tuesday that an old man named Hugh Mullan, of Landgarve, was found dead in bed that morning. Acting-Sergeant McClelland and Constable Heaslip at once proceeded to the place and made inquiries.

Crumlin Reading Club Meeting

The following is from the Lisburn Herald dated 14th May 1898.

Crumlin Reading Room

On Tuesday evening, the 10th inst, the general meeting of the Crumlin Reading Club was held in the reading room, Main Street, Crumlin – Constable Thomas Heaslip occupied the chair. The secretary having read the reports of the past quarter, and the books having been examined by the chairman and found to be satisfactory, the meeting was closed with a vote of thanks to the chairman for his kind attendance – Cor.

New road from Antrim to Lurgan

Extract from Lisburn Herald — 3rd February 1900

At the quarterly meeting of the Antrim Rural District Council, on Monday, Mr. Philip Corken, Crumlin, applied for £50 to make 200 perches of new road from Antrim to Lurgan, between the Courthouse, Crumlin, and the post road leading to Glenavy. The application was passed for the full amount.

Crumlin Petty Sessions

The following is an extract from the Belfast Newsletter dated Tuesday 30th September 1902. It appears here with the permission of the Belfast Newsletter.

Petty Sessions.

Crumlin. – This monthly court was held yesterday, before Colonel McClintock, J.P., (in the chair); Dr. Mussen, J.P.; Messrs. John Laird, J.P., James Megarry, J.P., and F.L. Turtle, J.P. This was the annual licensing sessions, and, the police offering no objections, all the certificates submitted by the publicans of the district were signed. Henry O’Neill, fisherman, was summoned by Constable Duffy for having in his possession for sale at Ballykelly on 8th inst. Twelve pollen which were undersized. Defendant’s excuse was that the fish had lost a half-inch in size in one night. The magistrates convicted the defendant, fining him 12s – 1s for each fish seized. A young man named Daniel McDonald was charged with having on the 8th assaulted an old man called John Maguire, of Drumaliet, by striking him on the head with a graip. District-Inspector Taylor prosecuted, and Mr. W.G. Maginess defended. Evidence having been given at some length, their Worships adjourned the case for six months. Two men named Charles Mulholland and Henry Morrison were summoned for having assaulted a servant girl named Annie Molyneaux on the 29th ult. Mr. Maginess appeared for the complainant, and Mr. J.K. Currie, Ballymena, defended. The girl’s evidence was to the effect that as she was passing a number of carts on the road, four men caught hold of her, claiming her as their sweetheart. She could only identify the two defendants. The defence was a denial. Defendants were found guilty, and were ordered to pay a fine of £1 10s and 10s costs each. A man named McKean was fined 10s for trespassing in pursuit of game, on the lands of Mrs. Armstrong, on the 6th inst. Several school attendance orders having been granted in the Aghalee and Antrim rural districts, the Court adjourned.

Parliamentary Voters’ Lists

The following is an extract from The Lisburn Herald, September 30th 1905

South Antrim revision Sessions, Crumlin

Mr. H.C Cullinan, B.L., revising barrister for County Antrim, sat in the Courthouse, Crumlin, on Tuesday, to revise the Parliamentary voters’ lists for the polling districts of Crumlin, Dundrod, Glenavy and Lower Ballinderry. Mr. Joseph Wilson acted as registrar. Mr. Alexander Millar, assistant secretary to the County Council, who also represented Mr. Sinclair, clerk, Lisburn union; Mr. John Clark, clerk, Antrim Union, with Messrs Richard Craig, William J. Kelly and Robert Taylor, rate – collectors, were in attendance.

Mr. Charles Curtis Craig, M.P. for the division of South Antrim; Dr. Arthur Mussen, J.P., who took a most active part during the hearing of the claims; James Davison, John Corken, Robert Scott, manager in the woollen factory at Crumlin, were in attendance among the general public.

Crumlin Centenarian – Susan Sloan

The following is an extract from the Belfast Newsletter dated 4th February 1910 and appears with permission of the Belfast Newsletter.

A Crumlin Centenarian.

At the last meeting of the Antrim Board of Guardians the relieving officer applied for and was granted an additional shilling per week for Susan Sloan, aged 101 years, of Lough Neagh Terrace, Crumlin.

Death Notice – Jane Frazer

The following extract is from the Belfast Newsletter dated 14th February 1910 and appears with permission of the Belfast Newsletter.


Frazer – February 13th, at her residence Crumlin, Jane, the beloved wife of James Frazer, merchant. Funeral tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon, at two o’clock to Crumlin Presbyterian Burial-ground ground. James Frazer.

Police Cases and Licensing Case

The following extract is from The Lisburn Standard Saturday 3rd December 1910.

Police Cases

Constable Brown v Francis Higginson, drunk at Crosshill 5th November; 10s 6d and costs.

Sergeant Barrett v James Doris, drunk and disorderly 19th November; 10s and costs.

Same v George McKnight, drunk 7th November in Crumlin, 5s and costs.

Constable Cosgrove v Matthew Nutt, drunk and disorderly 14th November. Defendant was shouting that he was the best man in Crumlin (Laughter) 10s and costs.

Sergeant Barrett v John O’Hara, drunk at Dungonnell 14th November; 5s and extra costs.

Constable Cosgrove v Matthew McConkey, drunk fined 5s.

Constable Brown v Phillip Gillen, drunk 15th November; 7s 6d and costs.

Same v William Gribben, drunk 15th November; 5s and costs.

Sergeant Barrett v William J Ross, drunk 16th at Crumlin; 2s6d and costs.

Licensing case

Henry Gillen, publican, was charged with a breach of the Licensing Act on the 17th November, and William J Ross was prosecuted for being on the premises during prohibited hours.

District Inspector Heatley prosecuted, and Mr W.G. Maginess defended.

The case for the Crown was that Ross was arrested by the police for drunkenness. He was detained in the barrack all night, and discharged at about six o’clock the next morning. At 6.30 Constable Brown found him on the licensed premises drinking a glass of whiskey.

Constable Brown, in evidence, stated when on duty on the 17th November in Crumlin his attention was attracted by Ross walking up the street, and turning into Mr. Gillen’s gate, witnessed followed him in; the gate leading from the public street to the yard was open. He looked through the kitchen window, and saw Ross in the kitchen with a glass containing apparently whiskey in his hand. Ross had been in the lock-up the previous night. In reply to questions, Gillen said that "Sure the poor fellow required something after being down with you all night. Now, Brown, sure you won’t say anything about it." The door to the bar was open, and on the counter was a bottle of whiskey. Gillen said that that was whiskey, but it was always kept there. The publican followed him into the yard, and again asked him not to say anything about it. Witness said that he would have to do his duty. He then caught him by the arm and asked him "For God’s sake not to say anything about it."

To Mr. Maginess – Witness did not know that Ross had been working with Gillen as a labourer since this had happened, at his potatoes. The yard gate was open; he understood that Gillen keeps a number of horses. He had also a farm which was laboured in the usual way. There was nothing hidden about the way in which Ross was sitting in the kitchen holding the whiskey. The night had been cold; there was snow on the ground, and Ross had been in the barrack all night.

Mr. Maginess, for the defence, said that the previous night, before he was arrested, Ross had been with Gillen, and had been engaged to work for him on the farm. He came back in the morning as usual before going to the fields, and Gillen in his good nature gave him a glass of whiskey as the morning was cold. If the magistrates believed Gillen’s story they were entitled to dismiss the case, for there was nothing in the nature of a sale in the transaction.

Henry Gillen said that he has been a publican in Crumlin for 35 years. He had a farm, and had five acres of potatoes to take out on the 16th November. That day he engaged Ross to assist on his farm at 1/6 per day and his food. Witness did not know anything of him until the following morning when witness was astir at about 5.30 o’clock. He had gone to the yard to take his horses out to be sharpened as the ground was frosty, and in doing so he had to open the yard gate. Later Ross came in very cold, and he gave him a glass of whiskey to warm him. Witness did not receive a penny for the whiskey and Ross had worked with him constantly since.

To District Inspector Heatley – Ross was perfectly sober when he left the previous night. He overlooked the necessity to tell the constable the story he had told the court. That was what he should have done. Ross never worked for him prior to the 16th November.

Wm J Ross corroborated certain details in Mr. Gillen’s evidence. He was engaged by Gillen on the 16th November, subsequently he got drunk and was arrested. In the morning he was very cold, and when liberated he walked into Gillen’s yard and into the kitchen. Gillen asked him if he would go to his work; witness said that it was very cold, and he said he would have to warm him up. He did not either pay then or since for the whiskey.

The magistrates held that it was distinctly proved that there had been a breach of the law. Gillen was fined £1 and Ross 5s with costs.

Highway Robbery

The following is an extract from the Irish News and Belfast Morning News dated Tuesday 27th February 1912 and appears with permission of the Irish News.

Alleged Highway Robbery
Strange case at Crumlin: Informations refused

At yesterday’s monthly sessions in Crumlin – Colonel McClintock, J.P., presiding – Joseph McClelland, Lower Ballinderry, was charged by District – Inspector Gregory, Lisburn, with, as alleged, assaulting and robbing William Fletcher on 15th inst. Mr. W.G. Maginess, solicitor, appeared for the defence.

Complainant stated that he was returning home from Aghalee, in company with the defendant, and called at Pelan’s public-house, where, they had two drinks. They left together, and when a few yards along the road McClelland struck him with some weapon on the side of the head, and knocked him down, rendering him insensible. When recovering he found McClelland stuffing a handkerchief into his mouth, after which he tied his hands behind his back, and then put his hand into his (complainant’s) pocket and took out 30s, saying he would leave the black ones, meaning the coppers.

Joseph Pelan, publican, said that Fletcher and McClelland had two drinks in his house, and left at about 9.45, going towards their home. He saw them 100 yards away.

Edward Fletcher, publican (brother of complainant) said he found his brother about 200 yards from Pelan’s, lying with his head in the hedge. He was a little sick, and said that Joe McClelland had done it.

By Mr. Maginess – I did not see anything with which he could have been tied. He was not drunk.

To the Chairman – I noticed no marks on him.

Other evidence having been given, their worships refused informations.

Fishery Prosecution

The following is an extract from the Irish News and Belfast Morning News dated Tuesday 27th February 1912 and appears with permission of the Irish News.

Fishery Prosecution at Crumlin

At Crumlin Petty Session yesterday, before Colonel McClintock, J.P. (in the chair), a fisherman named David McKean was prosecuted by Mr. Andrew King, inspector of fisheries, for having in his possession, on 3rd February, nine trout, it being then the close season, which was from the 20th August till the end of February. The magistrates imposed a fine of £2 and costs.

Dr Caldwell’s Will

The following is an extract form The Lisburn Standard Saturday 13th July 1912.

Will of Dr. S. Caldwell

Dr. Samuel Caldwell, of Drumsheil, and formerly of Virginia, both in County Cavan, physician and surgeon, a member of the Council of the Irish medical Association, who died on the 21st September last, a bachelor, left personal estate valued at £5134, of which £1,193 is in England.

Probate has been granted to his brother Mr. Alexander Caldwell, of Crumlin, County Antrim, Merchant, and Mr. Thomas Young Chambers, of Bailesborough, County Cavan, solicitor, each of whom he left £50 for the executorship.

He left a sum not exceeding £30 for a tombstone over his grave; £20 to his housekeeper Mrs, Mary Anne Brady; £20 and a weekly sum of 4 shillings until he is entitled to an old age pension to his manservant, Solomen Kellett, both of these legacies being free of duty; £100 for the poor of Lurgan in the diocese of Kilmore, as the rector of the Church of Ireland and the parish priest of Lurgan may see fit; £100 to the Representative Body of the Church of Ireland to apply the income towards the assessment of the Parish of Lurgan; £100 similarly for the Parish of Annfield in the same diocese; £50 to the Royal Medical Benevolent Society Fund; £20 to County Cavan Protestant Orphan Society; £100 upon trust for "my very old friend, Mrs Mary Emily De Carne Kellett, of The Cottage, Virginia," for life, with remainder to her daughter, Catherine Eleanor Kellett; £200 to the said Catherine Eleanor Kellett; £100 to his uncle, David Black; £200 to his neice, Mary Hill, and the residue of his property be left upon trust in equal shares for his brothers and sisters William, Alexander, Robert, and Thomas, and Mary Jane and Martha Kate.

Adulterated Farm Produce

The following extract is from The Lisburn Herald, Saturday, July 15 1916.

Adulteration of Farm Produce

In the Belfast Summons Court on Monday – before Messrs. John Gray, R.M.; W. Redfern Kelly and J H Brett – a farmer named Daniel Mullen, Crumlin, County Antrim was prosecuted under the Food and Drugs Act for having on 26th May sold butter which contained 8 per cent of water in addition to the 16 per cent allowed. Mr Spiller prosecuted. A fine of 20s and costs was imposed.

For having on the 18th May sold sweet milk which contained 7.2 per cent of added water a farmer named John Graham, Ballydonaghy, Crumlin was fined 40s and costs. He was prosecuted for having sold milk which contained 6.5 per cent of added water. Defendant said he did not add water to the milk while it was in his possession. The case was ruled in with the previous summons.

Mr Hugh Minford, MP

The following is from The Lisburn Herald, Saturday June 15th 1929.

Crumlin welcomes Mr H Minford

Mr Hugh Minford MP addressed large and enthusiastic meetings at Crumlin and Glenavy on Friday evening 7th inst. Mr Minford who was met on the outskirts of Crumlin by a large crowd was taken from his car and carried shoulder high to the platform which had been erected on the street.

He was welcomed by Colonel Pakenham who said he was quite sure the electors of Antrim Division had made a wise choice. Mr Minford was in every way worthy to represent that important division, and wuld be felt sure, give entire satisfaction to the electors.

Mr Minford who was loudly cheered, returned thanks to the electors of Crumlin and district for the confidence they had reposed in him, and for the assurance which they gave through him to Lord Craigavon of their steadfastness and loyalty to the Government. The presence of bands and drums enlivened the proceedings, and hearty cheers were given for the member as he left for Glenavy.

Resolution of Condolence

The following extract is from The Lisburn Standard 3rd January 1930

Crumlin Petty Sessions – Mr. P. Bell RM presided at Crumlin. Their worships passed a resolution of condolence with their colleague, Mr. T.J. English, on the death of his wife.

Adulterated Buttermilk — Frederick Reid fined

The following is an extract from The Lisburn Standard dated 17th January 1930

Crumlin Milk Vendor fined – A penalty of 20s and costs was in the Belfast Petty Summons Court imposed on Frederick Reid, Crumlin for having on 3rd December sold buttermilk certified by the analyst to be adulterated with 12.9 parts added water in addition to 25 parts water allowed for churning.

Adulterated Buttermilk — James McClurg fined

The following is an extract from The Lisburn Standard 6th February 1931

James McClurg, Crumlin was fined £1 and costs in the Belfast Summons Court on Monday for having sold buttermilk adulterated with 12.3 parts of water in addition to the 25 parts allowed for churning. McClurg said that owing to the Christmas holidays the milk had been churned three days in advance.

Death Notice — Eliza Ann Templeton

The following is an extract from the Belfast Newsletter dated 11th September 1931 and appears with permission of the Belfast Newsletter.

Templeton – September 10, 1931, at Kilkenny, Eliza Ann Templeton. Funeral to Crumlin, Co. Antrim, tomorrow (Saturday), 12th inst., arriving about 4 o’clock.

Death Notice — Jane Hamilton

The following is an extract from the Belfast Newsletter dated 15th September 1931 and appears with permission of the Belfast Newsletter.

Hamilton – September 14, 1931 at Lakeside, Crumlin, Jane, last surviving member of the family of the late William Hamilton. Funeral strictly private. No flowers.

Death Notice — Mary (May) Armstrong

The following is an extract from the Belfast Newsletter dated 28th September 1931 and appears with permission of the Belfast Newsletter.

In Memoriam

Martin – In ever loving memory of Mary Armstrong (May), died 28th September, 1929.
Forget you May, we never will.
Ever remembered by her sorrowing Daddy, Mammy, Brothers and Sisters. Leathem House, Crumlin.

Distinguished Flying Medal

The following extract is from The Lisburn Herald, Saturday, May 25th 1940

In recognition of gallantry displayed in flying operations against the enemy, Sergeant Robert Francis Wyness, Crumlin, County Antrim, has been awarded the Distinguished Flying Medal.

Robert S McKinstry

The following is an extract from the Lisburn Herald Saturday 22nd May 1948.

Crumlin Man dies in USA.
Was connected with Woollen Trade.

The death of Robert S. McKinstry took place at his residence 267 Brook Avenue, Passaic, U.S.A., on 3rd May after an illness extending over two months. Mr. McKinstry was the son of the late Mr. William R McKinstry, Crumlin and Mrs. Jessie McKinstry of Passaic. He graduated at Leeds University and studied the woollen business in the textile colleges of Europe. After emigrating to the United States, he became a designer for the Peerless Woollen Mills, Chattanooga, Tennessee, after which he was with the Botany Mills, Passaic, finally becoming manager of the Oakes Mills, of Bloomfield, a position he held at the time of his death. He is survived by his mother, and an uncle is Mr. R.Y. McKinstry, formerly of Lisburn and London and at present living at Chichester Sussex.

The funeral took place to Cedar Lawn Cemetery, Passaic, on 6th May, the services be in conducted by the Rev. George Talbott, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Passaic.

Notes: In the 1911 census, Crumlin the McKinstry family are residing at Main Street. William Ralph aged 42,born County Antrim, Presbyterian, Commercial clerk accountant, wife Rachel Jessie aged 30 born England, Robert Stewart McKinstry aged 3 born England. Martha Clarke aged 75 , mother of William Ralph, born in Belfast. William Ralph and Rachel Jessie were married 10 years at the time. They had 2 children with one alive in 1911.

William Wilson, JP

The following extract is from the Lisburn Standard 21 August 1953.

The following person was made a Justice of the Peace: Mr William Wilson, Main Street, Crumlin

Coach Tours

The following extract is from the Ulster Star dated 9th July 1960 and is reproduced with the permission of The Ulster Star.

Motor Coach Tours to Portush
From Crumlin (Bank Corner)

Summer, 1960

a.m. fare
Monday 11th July dep 10.15 12/9
Thursday 14th July dep 10.15 12/9
Thursday 21st July dep 10.15 12/9
Wednesday 27th July dep 10.15 12/9
Monday 1st August dep 10.15 12/9
Thursday 4th August p.m.
(fireworks display) dep 2.45 12/9
Thursday 11th August dep 10.15 12/9
Thursday 18th August dep 10.15 12/9
Saturday 3rd September dep p.m.
(fireworks display) 2.45 12/9

Tours will operate subject to sufficient bookings.


"The Wee Still"
by "The Digger"

As he eyed the wooden caskets stacked against the cellar walls the young milk delivery lad enquired passively "I wonder what‘s in them?"

The question, directed at the local policeman who was showing him around the local constabulary barracks in Lisburn was not as innocent and as inquisitive as it might have appeared. Almost eighty years later this "young" fellow told me he could remember these nine or ten wooden caskets and several large ten gallon cans sitting in the police cellar. He knew only too well that they had been seized by police as part of an illicit distillery. Little did the unsuspecting constable know, but his young guest dabbled in small scale distribution of the "crateur" around the town. I was told it was more a matter of "converting milk to poteen."

Read more »

Comments are closed.