Ordnance Survey Memoirs
The following extract is from "Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland – Parishes of County Antrim VII 1832 – 1838". Thanks to The Institute of Irish Studies, The Queen’s University of Belfast for permission to use this extract.
Streamvale, the seat of the late Reverend Francis Patton and now occupied by his daughters, the Misses Patton, stands about 3 miles from Lisburn, north of the leading road from the latter town to Ballinderry. The dwelling house is a beautiful thatched cottage, 1 storey high. The garden contains about 1 English acre, stands in a very neat order and enclosed by a quickset fence, and in front of the cottage a small fish pond. The demesne consists of about 60 English acres, all laid off in fields of moderate size, enclosed by quickset fences and iron gates, and in several of the fields small plantations of various kinds of forest trees. The Misses Patton occupy the entire land in tillage and grazing and have their farmyards and office houses in neat order.
The chief part of these improvements have been made by the above Mr. Patton, who was for many years previous to his death vicar of Magheragall parish. This family is of the Knockmore Pattons, who settled in this neighbourhood shortly before the 1641 war, and who have since retained a respectable rank in society. Information obtained from James Campbell and others. 20th July 1837.
Bog in Magheragall
There was a small bog in the above townland, but it is cut away and its remains brought to a state of cultivation. It was a black quality of bog but not of great depth. Informant James Campbell.
Magistrates in the parish: James Watson of Brookhill, Esquire and Richard Haughton of Springfield, Esquire. No peace or revenue police in the parish.