Ballynadolly Townland, Magheragall

Ordnance Survey Memoirs

The following extract is from "Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland – Parishes of County Antrim VII 1832 – 1838". Thanks to The Institute of Irish Studies, The Queen’s University of Belfast for permission to use this extract.

Ancient Boat

In 1816 there was discovered, about 8 feet beneath the surface of a bog in the townland of Ballynadolly, an ancient boat about 8 feet long, 5 feet wide and 4 feet deep, with seats along the sides and ends of it, also lying inside of it 2 small oars. It was constructed of staves nearly similar to modern boats and in a tolerable state of preservation when lifted out of the bog, but it has since split and fallen away by the air and sun. Information obtained from George and John Right.

Battleaxe

In Ballynadolly, and holding of Joseph Lewis and about 2 feet beneath the surface of new land, there was found in 1822 an ancient brass battleaxe much resemling a saddler’s cutting knife and 9 inches in length. It was subsequently sold at a small price in Lisburn. Informants John Lewis and others.

Discoveries in a bog.

In the townlands of Ballynadolly and Aghacarnan there is between 150 and 200 acres of newly cut-out bog, not more at present than from 2 to 4 feet in depth, and a large portion of it cut out altogether. the subsoil is partly of whitish and reddish sand and partly a blue clay. No other than baked turf to be got from this bog at present, though at a former period there were several feet of slane or spade turf cut over the present remains,and some good oak and fir timber got imbedded in the exterior, but nothing at present except a few oak blocks. The portion of the bog that the Marquis of Hertford holds in his own hands is annually let in small lots to the public and the remainder of it attached to different farms adjoining its shores.

At the depth of from 6 to 10 feet beneath the surface of this bog there have been discovered at different periods within the last 40 years a large quantity of oak plants varying in length, breadth and thickness, but all evidentally dressed and brought to shape for some particular purpose, many of them morticed and wooden pins through each end. Some of this latter timber is still extant on Thomas Thompson’s of Ballynadolly and other houses, but changed in form and converted to other uses. There was also large quantities of decayed nuts found. Also a quantity of decayed wheat was found in 1834 at some depth beneath its surface. It is called the Wolf bog, and is said to have been formerly inhabited by wolves. Informants Thomas Thompson, Daniel McKeown and others. 5th August 1837.

Migration

Migration to the Scotch harvest: from ballynadolly 2, from ballynalargy 1, from Ballycarrickmaddy 1, from Ballyclough 1, from Drumsill 1, total from the parish 6. Finished 7th August 1837. Informants Thomas Hill, Robert Johnstone and others.

Inquest – Ann Jane Abbott

The following extract is from the Lisburn Standard dated Friday 17th December 1915.

Dr. Mussen, J.P., coroner for South Antrim, held an inquest on Saturday at Ballynadally, Stoneyford, on the body of Ann Jane Abbott, wife of Robert Abbott, farmer. It appeared from the evidence that the aged couple resided alone. The deceased, who was 80 years of age, had a paralytic seizure a few years ago, which rendered her left arm practically useless. On the evening of the 9th. inst., her husband went out to attend the cattle, leaving her sitting at the fire, and on returning about five minutes later he found his wife completely enveloped in flames. There was no help at hand, and, wrapping his coat around her, he carried her to bed and applied buttermilk and other simple remedies to the burns, which extended from head to foot. All, however, was of no avail, the unfortunate woman dying between 12 and 1 o’clock next morning. The jury found that death was due to shock consequent on burns received, and expressed their sympathy with the bereaved husband.

Comments are closed