Tully Townland, Killead

Farms to be Let

The following is from the Belfast Newsletter dated Tue 31st Aug – Fri 3rd Sept 1773 and appears with permission of the Belfast Newsletter.

To be set

From the firft of November next, two Farms in Tully, in the Parish of Killead; one now in Poffeffion of Daniel Campbell, and the other lately in the Poffeffion of William Neal. For particulars enquire of Mr. Apfley, Surgeon, in Belfast. Auguft 30th, 1773.

Killead Presbyterian Church

The Presbyterian Meeting house is situated in the town land of Tully, near the north centre of the parish. It is a clumsy old structure, consisting of a main aisle measuring 23 by 15 feet 6 inches stands at right angles to the north centre of the former. Read more »

Photos of Killead Presbyterian Church

Killead Presbyterian Church Hall, November 2008

Killead Presbyterian Church Hall, November 2008

Killead Presbyterian Church Hall, November 2008

Killead Presbyterian Church Hall, November 2008

Notice board at Killead Presbyterian Church, November 2008

Notice board at Killead Presbyterian Church, November 2008

Ordnance Survey Memoirs

The following extract is from "Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland – Parishes of County Antrim XIII 1833, 1835, 1838". Thanks to The Institute of Irish Studies, The Queen’s University of Belfast for permission to use this extract.

Gentlemen’s seats

James Murray Esquire resides in a good 2 storey house in Tully townland.

Killead Ploughing Society Competition

The following extract is from The Lisburn Standard, 11th February 1944.

Killead Ploughing Society
Record entry at Competition

There was a record entry at the Killead Ploughing Society’s annual competition held on Saturday on the farm of Mr. R.J.Wilson, Tully, Killead.There were 64 entries – 48 in the tractor classes and 16 in the horse classes, while there was also a very large number of spectators from all over the Province.

The judges were Messrs. David Pedlow, Lisburn; James Foreman, Lisburn; Hugh Gray, Finvoy; John Black and John Hart, Coleraine and James Morrow, Bangor.

Awards:-

Horse section – Open class 1 and Killultagh Cup – John Walker, Randalstown; 2. R.J. Andrews, Toomebridge; 3. J Pinkerton, Crumlin; 4. Harold Campbell, Crumlin. Confined – 1 and Gallaher Cup – Eric Dawson, Crumlin; 2. Thomas George, Kilcross; 3. John Graham, Dundrod; 4. W.J. Pedlow, Crumlin.

Turn-outs – 1 and Gallaher Cup – Kirker Porter, Crumlin; 2. Andrew Pinkerton, Nutt’s Corner; 3. John Graham, Dundrod

Tractor section – Open class – 1 and Erwin Cup – R.A. Erwin, Kilcross; 2. Robert Holland, Randalstown; 3. D. Stewart, Ballyhill;4. Arthur Harkness, Seacash; 5. Isaac Erwin, Randalstown

Confined – 1 and Fastol Cup – Joseph Price, Crumlin; 2. J Banford, Ballynure; 3. L. Gilliland, Ballyrobin; 4. E. Burnside, Grange; 5. O Gorman, Tully; 6 J. McCulloch, Randalstown.

Hydraulic ploughs – 1. J. Christie, Crumlin; 2. J. Gilliland, Ballyrobin; 3. R. McCosh, Randalstown; 4. S. Calvert, Dundrod; 5. Wilfred Gray, Dunadry.

Cup presented by York Street Flax Spinning Company for best work by a member of a young farmers’ club – Joseph Price, Crumlin. Oldest ploughman – John McPeake, Crumlin; Youngest ploughman – J. Mulholland, Glenavy.

Special prizes for best work by members of Crumlin Young Farmers’ Club – Joseph Price and John Price.

Mrs. Wilson, Antrim, presented the prizes. Votes of thanks to Mr. and Mrs. Wilson were proposed by Mr. George Thompson, J.P., president of the Society and seconded by Mr. Hugh Minford, M.P.

When the Past met the Present

David Webber from Canada and Edward Bell from Dundrod

David Webber, from Canada and Edward Bell from Dundrod pictured recently at the Bell family burial ground, Killead Presbyterian Church. They are both descendants of Alexander Bell, whose death in 1837 is the first inscription on the Bell headstone

Several months ago I had received an email from David Webber, a Canadian who was researching his ancestors. He believed that his grandmother, Maria Bell, had been born on a farm located at Tullyrusk, Glenavy. David was in possession of letters from the early 1930’s indicating that there were other family in the Killead area.

David’s great grandmother, Jane (nee Cormican) was the first wife of William Alexander Bell from Tullyrusk. He was in fact the grandson of the Alexander Bell of Tully. Fortunately details of this Bell family are captured in the rare surviving remnants of the 1851 census. This particular Bell family can all be traced back to the townlands of Tully and Ballynageeragh in the Killead area.

Read more »

Comments are closed