Ballyrobin Townland, Killead

Freehold Registration

The following extract is from the Belfast Newsletter dated Tuesday 29th September, 1829 and is reproduced with permission of the Belfast News Letter.

County of Antrim

List of persons applying to Register their Freeholds at the next General Quarter Session of the Peace, to be held at Antrim, for the Division of Ballymena, pursuant to the Act of 10th George the Fourth, Cap.8, entered by the Clerk of the Peace.

No:68

Name and Residence of Applicant: James Adams, Ballyrobin
Description of Freehold: Houses and lands, Ballyrobin
Yearly Value to be registered: £10

No:69

Name and Residence of Applicant: Robert Wilson, Ballyrobin
Description of Freehold: Houses and lands, Ballyrobin
Yearly Value to be registered: £10

No:70

Name and Residence of Applicant: James Morrison, Ballyrobin
Description of Freehold: Houses and lands, Ballyrobin
Yearly Value to be registered: £10

No:71

Name and Residence of Applicant: Samuel Russell, Ballyrobin
Description of Freehold: Houses and lands, Ballyrobin
Yearly Value to be registered: £10

No:73

Name and Residence of Applicant: Robert Kilpatrick, Ballyrobin
Description of Freehold: Houses and lands, Ballyrobin
Yearly Value to be registered: £10

Ordnance Survey Memoirs

The following are extracts from “Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland – Parishes of County Antrim XIII 1833, 1835,1838”. Thanks to The Institute of Irish Studies, The Queen’s University of Belfast for permission to use this extract.

Corn mills.

The corn mill in the townland of Ballyrobin is propelled by a breast water wheel 18 feet in diameter by 4 feet 6 inches broad, having a fall of water of 16 feet.

Flax mills

The flax mill (the property of John Munniss) in the townland of Ballyrobin is propelled by a breast water wheel 15 feet 6 inches in diameter by 12 feet 6 inches broad, having a fall of water of 8 feet.

There is a second flax mill in the same townland. Its machinery is propelled by a breast water wheel 15 feet in diameter by 2 feet 6 inches broad, having a fall of water of 16 feet.

Habits of the People.

The farmers are extremely industrious and, though not very frugal, are tolerably provident. They are very intelligent and fond of acquiring information. Most of them take a newspaper, in which one or two will join. They have established a good book club in the townland of Ballyrobin, which consists of 32 members who pay 10s entrance and 4s per annum. They have now got 220 volumes of very well chosen works on instructive and entertaining subjects, and the librarian has a pair of globes. This club has been 6 years established and continues to succeed.

Coves.

There is a cove on the farm of Samuel Clyde, townland of Ballyrobbin, containing many rooms turning off at right angles, but at the mouth is a large spring which obstructs its entrance. It runs north east from the mouth.

Forts.

There is a fort of earth and stones on the farm of James Cooper in the townland of Ballyrobbin. It is circular and 90 feet in diameter by 6 feet high, in which a cove, artificial, is said to be, but is closed up, situated in very low ground.

In the margin is the outline (drawing) of a fort on the farm of Mrs. Liggat, in the same townland: from "a" to "b" is 70 feet and from "c" to "d" is 60 feet long: 10 feet high at the highest point by 6 feet at the lowest part.

Emigration in 1835.

List of persons who have emigrated from the parish of Killead during the year 1835:

Andrew Christie, 21, Samuel Christie, 27 (insert addition – tailor, returned in 1838), Presbyterians, from Ballyrobbin to St. Andrews, New Brunswick.

Robert William Olliver, 22, schoolmaster, Ann Olliver, 35. Methodists, from Ballyrobbin to Quebec.

Emigration in 1836.

List of persons who have emigrated from the parish during the year 1836.

Thomas McMullin, 65, Agnes McMullin, 60, Alexander McMullin, 28, Mary McMullin, 26, jane McMullin, 24, Anna McMullin, 22, Presbyterians, from Ballyrobbin to New York.

Sunday Schools

Ballyrobbin Sunday School is held in the day schoolhouse, established in 1837, superintended by Mr. Abraham Liggat. 8 teachers, viz. 6 males and 2 females; total scholars 40, viz. 20 males and 20 females, Presbyterians 38 and 2 Roman Catholics; exclusively Sunday school scholars 17; not connected with any society. The day school books are used, with the Authorised Version of Scripture: hours of attendance from 4 till 7pm., only held during the summer and harvest months; concludes with singing and prayer only.

School Statistics.

Ballyrobbin, master Robert Crawford, Presbyterian; pay school, annual income 35 pounds; schoolhouse good, cost 29 pounds, built at the expense of Mr. Campbell and to be refunded by subscription; number of pupils by the Protestant return: 40 Presbyterians, 2 Roman Catholics, 27 males, 15 females; by the Roman Catholic return: 40 Presbyterians, 2 Roman Catholics, 27 males, 15 females; the master receives from the Honourable Colonel Pakenham the annual sum of 3 pounds.

Guardians – Antrim Union – meeting attendance

The following is an extract from the Belfast Newsletter dated 03 04 1854 and has been used with permission of the Belfast Newsletter.

Poor Land Unions

Antrim Union – Return, showing the number of days on which each of the Guardians attended the weekly meetings of the Board, during the year ended 25th March, 1849:-

The following appear under Ex-Officio Guardians

Number of days
George J. Clarke., J.P., Chairman 49
Thomas Montgomery, Esq., J.P., Vice-chairman 26
Charles W. Armstrong, Esq., J.P., D. Vice-Chairman 7
The Rt Honourable Lord Viscount Massareene and Ferrard, D.L., J.P. 6
Lieut. Gen the Honourable Sir H.R. Pakenham, D.L., J.P. 5
The Honourable George Handcock, J.P. 2
James Whitla, Esq. J.P. 7
John Smyth, Esq., J.P. 3
Thomas B. Adair, Esq., J.P. 0
John Owens, Esq., J.P. 1
T.D. Bateson, Esq, J.P., 0

The following are some of the Elective Guardians – representing the under mentioned divisions

Electoral Divisions
Seacash James McCord, Esq 8
Ballynadrentagh Wm. MrErvale, Esq 11
Ballyrobin Thomas Morrison, Esq. 22
Dundesert James Kirker, Esq. 7
Crumlin Benjamin Oakman, Esq. 10

Signed Henry C. Scott, Clerk of Union
Board – Room, 28th March, 1849

Comments are closed