First Presbyterian (non-sub), Camlin

Book Extract

The following is an extract from the "Statistical Account or Parochial Survey of Ireland – Parishes of Glenavy, Camlin & Tullyrusk" by the Rev. Edward Cupples.

In the town of Crumlin is a meeting-house, for the Protestant-dissenters. It is a plain, substantial edifice, 60 feet long, by 24 wide, with an aisle and three galleries, containing 70 seats, some of them double, sufficient to accommodate 500 persons. The Rev. Nathaniel Alexander is the minister.

Meeting House Opened

The following is an extract from The Northern Whig dated Tuesday 26th September 1837.

Remonstrant Presbyterian Church, Crumlin –

On Sunday, the 17th inst., the new Meeting-house, erected by the remonstrant Congregation of Crumlin, was opened for public worship by the Rev. Dr. Montgomery. Notwithstanding the unfavourable appearance of the morning, the people began to assemble, at an early hour, from various districts surrounding the village; and, when the appointed hour for commencing the service had arrived, the house was crowded in every part, by a numerous and highly respectable audience. On this interesting occasion, the gifted preacher addressed the congregation in his own dignified and eloquent style, in a discourse of two hours’ length. It was truly gratifying to see, mingling in harmony and good-will, Christians of every religious persuasion, and affording their most generous aid to their brethren of another Church.- The collection, including the sale of tickets, together with several liberal donations sent previously, and others since received, amounted to the sum of £177 6s 4d. The following gentlemen acted as collectors:- Wm. Johnston, Esq., J.P., John Owens, Esq., J.P., James Murray, Esq., J.P., James T. Tennent, Esq., J.P., James McNamara, Esq., J.P., Robert Macauley, Esq., Jas. Macauley, Esq., James Andrews, Esq., Robert Andrews, Esq., Wm. Hunter, Esq., Jas. Arthur, Esq., John Moore, Esq., James Gaussen, Esq., M.D., George P. Price, Esq., Wm. Campbell, Esq., Thos. Walkington, Esq., Jas. Campbell, Esq., Wm. S. Hunter, Esq.

Thom’s Almanac & Official Directory — 1845

The following is an extract from 1845 Thom’s Almanac & Official Directory

Remonstrant Synod of Ulster: Templepatrick Presbytery, congregaries, ministers & towns

Crumlin: George Hill, Crumlin

"Buildings of County Antrim"

The following can be found in the book "Buildings of County Antrim by C.E.B. Brett published in 1996." page 52, no 46. Includes a photograph by M. O’Connell.

First Presbyterian (Non-Subscribing) Church, Crumlin. Situated south of Main Street, Crumlin. Town land – Ballytromery.

Parish of Camlin

Religion

There is but one Presbyterian congregation in the parish and it is in connection with the Remonstrant Synod. The minister, the Reverend Nathaniel Alexander, receives 100 pounds regium donum and 30 pounds stipend.

Public Buildings

The meeting house is situated on the south side of the town. The former house, near which it stands, was erected in 1723. It presents a plain but substantial appearance. It measures 58 feet long and 24 feet wide. It contains a gallery and would accommodate 800 persons. The expense of erecting it will amount to 1,000 pounds, to be defrayed by subscription.

The Presbyterian meeting house was erected in the year 1723, the expenses defrayed by general subscription. There are 46 seats in the aisle, would contain 288 persons; and 23 seats in gallery, would contain 196 persons; total number 484 persons; dimensions 58 feet by 24; supported by donations and collections. It is a very plain building much out of repair: the seats in gallery are all falling to pieces.

Presbyterianism in Crumlin

The following is an extract from "Glenavy Past and Present" by Rev. Charles Watson in 1892.

PRESBYTERIANISM IN CRUMLIN.

By the courtesy of the Rev. George Hill, the kindly and accomplished author, to whom we are indebted for the Montgomery Manuscripts, &c., the writer is able to give some slight information regarding Presbyterianism in Camlin in the 18th century. Previous to 1720 there was no Presbyterian place of worship in the village of Crumlin. There was a meeting-house in Ballydonaghy, a townland in the parish of Glenavy Union, in the upper corner of the field, on the other side of the public road, opposite the mount, close to where Mr. Francis Barnes resides, the last minister of it being the Rev. David Airth, who, being badly supported, went to Scotland in 1689. The Presbyterians of Kilmakevitt, at the Largey, Lower Killead, about the same time lost their minister, the Rev. John Malcolm, who went to Dunmurry. About the year 1720, these two fragments agreed to unite and build a house of worship at Crumlin, which was completed in 1721. The first minister of the united sections was the Rev. Thomas Crawford (for further information of whom, see "Account of Crumlin"), whose ministry lasted for 58 years. The next was the Rev. Nathaniel Alexander, who also kept the famous Crumlin Academy (see "Crumlin"). During his ministry he and his congregation attached themselves to the Remonstrant Synod, and became Unitarian. Under his pastorate the old meeting-house, which was 60 feet long by 24 feet wide, with an aisle and three galleries, accommodating 500 persons, was pulled down, and the present fine structure erected about 1834. At his death the Rev. George Hill, happily still alive, became minister. His successors have been the Revs. Francis M’Cammond, John Jennings, Robert Cleland, J. Lewin, and J. Hall, B.A., the present minister.

Headstones

The stone over the front door of the First Presbyterian (Non-Subscribing) Church, Crumlin reads MDCCCXXXV – 1835.

It was opened on 17th September 1837.

The entrance to the church is via a gate off the Main Street in Crumlin. Unfortunately, as with so many of our places of worship, the gates are chained and locked and therefore access to the grounds and the church are difficult outside of the hours of worship. The grounds of the church contain a graveyard containing many old headstones. Unfortunately due to weathering some of these headstones are now unreadable.

I have not transcribed all the text from the headstones in the graveyard. The headstones record interments dating to the 18th century. The following surnames appear on the headstones. I have included some brief details of a few of them. The dates in brackets indicate the earliest inscription date on the headstone.

Some of the surnames found on the headstones include:

*
Aiken
*
Anderson, Hunterstown – in loving memory of Isabella Anderson
*
John Anderson
*
SACRED
TO
THE MEMORY OF
ARTHUR ARMSTRONG
WHO DIED THE 19TH DECEMBER 18?7
AGED 61 YEARS
ALSO HIS CHILDREN:-
GEORGE FRANCIS,
2ND MARCH 1871, AGED 3 MONTHS
ANNIE 21ST JANUARY 1873, AGED 5 WEEKS
ARTHUR 15TH MARCH 1873, AGED 8 YEARS
ROBERT 26TH JANUARY 1875, AGED 8 YEARS
FRANKLIN BORN 14TH OCTOBER, 1866
DIED 13TH JULY 1893, AGED 32 YEARS
ALSO HIS BELOVED WIFE
SARAH CAMPBELL ARMSTRONG
DIED 24TH MARCH 1907, AGED 7?5 YEARS
"THE SUMMER MORN SHE SIGHED FOR
THE FAIR SWEET MORN AWOKE"
ALSO THEIR SON JAMES,
BORN 3RD SEP 1862 DIED 2ND SEP 1943
AUCKLAND, N. ZEALAND
Armstrong Headstone

Armstrong Headstone

*
Here lyeth the bodies of two of John Black‘s children (1790 and others)
War Grave
860374 WO. 11 (BSM)
J. Black
Royal Artillery
25th June 1941
Aged 24

There is a record of this grave on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website. The additional information on this website states "Son of Edward C. Black and Annie Black of Belfast". Thanks to the CWGC for giving permission to use this extract.

*
Brown of Ballydonaghy (Eliza, wife of James)
*
Bryans
*
Campbell
*
Christie
*
Craig
*
To the memory of the Reverend Thomas Crawford who was minister of the Presbyterian Congregation of Crumlin 58 years. He departed this life June 1782 in the 87th year of his age (and others)
*
Curry
*
Joshua Elliott of Thorn Cottage
*
James Forsyth of Ballymacmary who died 23rd September, 1824 also John Berryhill Patrick grandson of James Forsyth also John Patrick of Belfast (and others)
*
Thomas French, Belfast
*
Fulton
*
Galley
*
Gibb
*
ERECTED
by JANE TURTLE
to commemorate the Name and virtues
of her revered father
THE REVD. JOHN GIBSON
Who died in July 1796,
After a ministry in this Place of 16 years
His Public Discourses
Were ??????? Plural
His Private Conversation
engaging ???????
He was dignified in manner
Yet of great condescension (?)
His company was courted by all ranks
The favourite of the rich the friend of the poor
He lived loved and died much lamented
Oh! ? There were such an ? In us
World that God had made us such men
Also the remains of Isabella, wife of the
Rev John Gibson who departed this
Life 6th March 18?3?8 Aged 88 years
Gibson Headstone

Gibson Headstone

*
IN
MEMORY OF THE
REV. JAMES HALL
WHO DIED AUGUST 28TH 1903
AGED 47 YEARS
AFTER A MINISTRY OF 13 YEARS
TO THE CONGREGATION
OF THE
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
CRUMLIN
ALSO HIS WIFE
CAROLINE,
WHO DIED NOVEMBER 17TH 1945
AGED 84 YEARS
ALSO THEIR DAUGHTER
CAROLINE
WHO DIED OCTOBER 11TH 1956
Hall Headstone

Hall Headstone

*
ERECTED BY
JAMES HAMILTON
IN LOVING MEMORY OF HIS WIFE
WHO DIED 22ND APRIL 1881
JAMES HAMILTON,
DIED 20TH MARCH 1920
ALSO THEIR DAUGHTER-IN-LAW
EVA
BELOVED WIFE OF
WM. C. HAMILTON
DIED 25TH JANUARY 1964
ALSO HIS BELOVED DAUGHTER
MARY E.F. HAMILTON
DIED 1ST January 1965,
ALSO HER HUSBAND
WILLIAM C. HAMILTON
DIED 19TH MARCH 1969
Hamilton Headstone

Hamilton Headstone

*
James Herdman, Ballydonaghy who departed this life the 22nd November 1802 aged 59 years, also the body of John Herdman of Ballydonaghy who departed this life the 10th day of May 1809 aged 83 years.
*
Bernard Hughs (died 1795)
*
Trevor Hull – in memory of his wife
*
Eliza Hunter – erected in memory of her dear husband Arthur Hunter of Belfast
*
John Hunter of Hillhead
*
Thomas Kennedy of Ballynacoy who died on the 2nd October 1913 aged 66 years also his sister Mary Isobella Kennedy who died on the 30th June 1927, aged 71 years also his sister Letitia Kennedy who died on the 8th May, 1934 aged 83 years.
*
Charles Leathem of Dominica, West Indies in memory of his father, mother and three brothers interred here.
*
Leslie
*
Lewis
*
McClurg
 
Erected by Margaret McComb of Liverpool in memory of her much respected parents Mary Hunter and William Hunter
*
McConkey
*
Erected by William McGahey 1875 in memory of his father and mother and brother Sam(?) (and others)
*
Macartney
*
Here lies the remains of Agnefs Manealy daughter of James Manealy of Belfast who departed this life 17th Dcr 1801 aged 20 years (and others)
*
In memory of Samuel Manderson died 1850, his brother Langford Manderson (and others)
*
Martin
*
Sarah Montgomery 1789
*
Erected by Thomas M. Montgomery of Philadelphia USA in memory of his grandparents Thomas Montgomery of Crumlin and his wife Anne Jane Sinclair who died between 1831 – 1835.
*
Palmer
*
Porteous
*
Porter (James Porter)
*
Ramsey of Seacash (Mary E. Ramsey & others)
*
Smith of Ballynageeragh
*
Suffern
*
Thompson
*
Thomas Waters
*
Wilson

Other information relating to burials with no apparent headstone.

1932

The following is an extract from the Lisburn Standard dated 31st December 1932.

In Memoriam
Stewart – In loving memory of my dear sister, Sarah, who departed this life 2nd January, 1930, and was interred in the family burying ground, Crumlin. Ever remembered. Joseph Stewart. Crew, Ballinderry.

Vaccination Prosecution

The following extract is from The Lisburn Herald, Saturday, November 18 1916.

Vaccination Prosecution
A Crumlin Minister’s Case
In the House of Commons.

Mr. Chancellor (L. Shoreditch) asked the Chief Secretary whether his attention had been called to the prosecution under the Public Health Act by the Antrim Board of Guardians of the Rev. S.E. Bowen, of Crumlin, for refusing to allow a vaccinated a child for whom he had already been fined under the vaccination Act; whether in this case the Attorney-General’s list for prosecution was obtained, if not, what steps he proposes to take to prevent such action by Boards of Guardians and to indemnify Mr. Bowen for the punishment thus inflicted on him; and whether he will reprimand the Antrim Board of Guardians for action ultra vires in this case, and have surcharged to them the costs thus incurred by them?

Mr Duke – Inquiry is being made into this case.

Death Notice — William Moore

The following extract is from the Belfast Newsletter dated 5th September 1944 and appears with permission of the Belfast Newsletter.

Moore – September 4, 1944, at his residence, Mooreview, Crumlin, William, beloved husband of Mary Moore. Funeral to the family burying-ground, Crumlin First Presbyterian Churchyard, tomorrow (Wednesday), 6th inst., at 1.0 pm.

Comments are closed