This church is situated on the Chapel Road, Ballinderry. The early Ordnance survey maps show the church at this location.
The following extracts are from "Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland – Parishes of County Antrim VII 1832 – 1838". Thanks to The Institute of Irish Studies, The Queen’s University of Belfast for permission to use this extract. The following may refer to St Mary’s.
Roman Catholic Chapel
Ballinderry Chapel, a very small slated house, 38 feet by 18, without seats: there are 2 small windows. It is upwards of 100 years built and the congregation pay the expense of the repairs.
Roman Catholic Chapel
Ballinderry Roman Catholic Chapel, situated in the west side of the parish, about 4 furlongs east of the village of Aghalee and about 1 mile from the village of Lower Ballinderry: this is an oblong building, 1 – storey high and slated, and measuring 38 feet 8 inches by 18 feet 8 inches inside; walls of stone and lime, 1 foot 10 inches thick, and th floor made of sand, lime and clay. It is lit by 4 arch windows, entrance by 1 door, situated on one of (the) gables. The altar, composed of timber and stonework, stands against the other gable. There is neither seats or galleries in the chapel. Attached to one end of the chapel is a small vestry, 1 – storey high and slated; measures 9 by 6 and a half feet inside and lit by 1 small window.
The yard is enclosed partly by a stone and lime wall and partly by a quickset fence, and an iron gate to the entrance. It is partially sheltered by forest trees, but has no burials in it. The grounds was originally purchased from a farmer for a term of years, but is at present a free gift from the Marquis of Hertford. The original chapel on this site was a thatched house and was consumed by fire about the rebellion of 1798. The present one was rebuilt above 20 years back, cost about (blank) pounds, subscribed chiefly by the congregation. Divine service in the chapel at 10 o’clock a.m. on every Sunday; average attendance from 200 to 400 persons. Collections are made, the proceeds of which go partly to keep the chapel in repair and partly to relieve distressed poor.
The Reverend James Denvir is the pastor of the Ballinderry Catholic congregation. He holds a portion of Ballinderry annexed to Aghagallon parish. Information obtained from Patrick Green and others.
The following is an extract from Diocese of Down and Connor Ancient and Modern by Rev J. O’Laverty P.P.M.R.I.A
Ballinderry Chapel was built in 1779, on the site which had been used for ages as a Mass Station. The chapel was burned in 1798, after which mass was celebrated among the ruins until the chapel was re-built in 1814 – 15 by father Curran. The old chapel was replaced by the present church which was built in 1845 by Father Young, and dedicated under the invocation of the blessed Virgin Mary.