Camlin Parish

The Area in the 1830s

The following extracts relating to Camlin and Crumlin are taken from “A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland; Comprising the several Counties, Cities, Boroughs, Corporate, Market, and Post Towns, Parishes, and Villages, with Historical and Statistical Descriptions” by Samuel Lewis published in 1837. In two volumes.

It gives an interesting account of the area prior to the accession of Queen Victoria in 1837.

Camlin, or Crumlin, a parish, in the barony of Upper Massereene, county of Antrim, and province of ULSTER; containing, with the post-town of Crumlin, 1274 inhabitants. This parish is situated on Lough Neagh, by which it is bounded on the west, and on the road from Antrim to Lurgan; it comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 6417¼ statute acres, of which 5455 are applotted under the tithe act, and 708¼ form part of the lake. About three-fourths of the parish are good arable land, and the remainder is pasture. The system of agriculture is greatly improved, and the whole of the parish is in an excellent state of cultivation, and is well fenced, drained, and planted: wheat, which was scarcely raised in the district, has, since the establishment of large flour-mills at Crumlin, been extensively cultivated, and now forms the principal feature in its agriculture. Limestone is extensively quarried for agricultural and other purposes. The principal seats are Thistleborough, of James Whittle, Esq.; Gobrana, of J. Whitla, Esq.; and Cherry Valley, of C. W. Armstrong, Esq. Independently of agricultural pursuits, several hundreds of the population are employed in weaving linens and cottons for the manufacturers of Belfast and its neighbourhood; here are also a flax and a flour-mill. Fairs are held monthly for cattle and pigs, and of late very valuable horses have been sold. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Connor, and is part of the union of Glenavy; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Hertford. The tithes amount to £195, of which £43. 5. is payable to the impropriator, and £151.15. to the incumbent. The church is a fine ruin; it was destroyed by the army of Jas. II., who had its depot here in 1689: in the north and south walls are a series of sepulchral arches continued the entire length of the building, and nearly in a perfect state. In the Roman Catholic divisions also it forms part of the union or district of Glenavy. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Remonstrant Synod, of the second class. The parochial school is supported by the vicar; and a school is supported by the Hon. Col. Pakenham, who erected for it a large and handsome school-house, and occasionally provides clothing for the scholars. In these schools are about 90 boys and 60 girls; and there are also three pay schools, in which are about 60 boys and 50 girls, and three Sunday schools. Dr. William Crawford, author of “Remarks on Chesterfield’s Letters,” “History of Ireland,” and other works; and Adam Crawford, Esq., M.D., author of an “Experimental Essay on Animal Heat;” and compiler of the transactions of the Royal Society, were natives of, Crumlin.

Crumlin, a post-town, in the parish of Camlin, barony of Upper Massereene, county of Antrim, and province of Ulster, 5 1.2 miles (S.) from Antrim, and 79 (N.) from Dublin; containing 128 houses and 641 inhabitants. This town is situated on the river Camlin, of which its name is a corruption, and on the road from Lurgan to Antrim; it consists of one long wide street, from which branches one of the smaller dimensions leading to the Antrim Road, and has a neat and cheerful appearance. At one extremity is the beautiful cottage and highly embellished grounds of Glendarragh, the seat of Col. Heyland, through which flows the river Camlin, noted for the petrifying quality of its waters; among the many fine specimens of petrified substances which it has afforded is the entire root of a tree, of five cubic feet. Adjoining the town are the most extensive and complete flour-mills in the country; they were originally built in 1765, by Rowley Heyland, Esq., and were the first that were erected in the north of Ireland. These mills were considered of so much importance that Government erected were very extensive warehouses for storing wheat and other grain, and encouraged by every means the growth of wheat in the surrounding districts. There are several other mills belonging to the same concern, but they all come under the denomination of the Crumlin mills. They are now the property of Messrs. Robert Macauley and Son; the machinery, which is of very superior construction, is impelled by the water of the Camlin river, and the quantity of grain annually consumed is on the average 3000 tons of wheat and the same quantity of oats. A large portion of the flour is shipped for the Clyde, and the several ports of the north of England; and during the year 1833, 2000 tons of flour and oatmeal were sent from this establishment to Liverpool and Manchester alone. A flaxmill has been erected by the Messrs. Macauley, and several hundred persons in the town and neighbourhood are constantly employed in weaving linens and cottons for the manufacturers of Belfast and other places. From its situation on Lough Neagh, this place derives every possible facility of communication by water with Belfast, Newry, Antrim, and other towns. Fairs are held on the first Monday in every month, for horses, cattle, and pigs; and a constabulary police force is stationed in the town. Petty sessions are held once a fortnight. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster.

The Area in 1888

The following is an extract from the 1888 publication titled “The book of Antrim” by George Henry Bassett.

It gives a brief description of the Crumlin area the Glenoak Mills and some of the inhabitants. As in most directories some of the details can be somewhat dubious in relation to spelling and accuracy.

Crumlin had a population of 344 in 1881. It is a well built village in the barony of Upper Massereene, on the Great Northern railway, 12 ½ miles north by west from Lisburn, and 14 north by east from Lurgan. The land of the district is good. For list of fairs see index. The Diamond, a rural post office, 6 miles distant, close to the shore of Lough Neagh, is served from Crumlin.

The Woollen Industry at Glenoak Mills

In 1886 the Ulster Woollen Company was registered under the Limited Liability Act, and premises secured for the erection of factory buildings. A considerable portion of last year had passed away before things were in shape to make a start. The selection of machinery, combining the latest recognised improvements, was a work of great importance, and took some time. A beginning was made with 25 looms, worked by a Hercules turbine water wheel, in conjunction with a steam engine 100 horse power indicated. The sheds see in the illustration were erected by the Ulster Woollen Company, limited, before any of the machinery was put in. The intention is to continue to enlarge the buildings, and add to the machinery from time to time until the industry has reached the full measure of development. There is room for a second Hercules turbine, and for an engine of greater power.

The range of manufacture is to include tweeds, serges, friezes, flannels, worsted coatings, fingering and knitting yarns. As much Irish wool as possible is to be used at every stage of progress.

The managing director is Mr. Thomas Tait Scott. Mr. Scott has practical knowledge, the value of which cannot be over estimated in measuring the possibilities of success. He was manager of the Blarney Woollen Mills, County Cork, for 21 years, a fact which in itself gives a tower of strength to the enterprise.

The Glenoak Mills are situated to the north-east of the village of Crumlin, not far from the eastern shore of Lough Neagh. Hence the Company appropriately produces “The Lough Neagh tweeds.” With equally good judgement the ancient Irish round tower has been adopted as the trade mark, the suggestion having come from the presence of a perfect specimen close to the neighbouring town of Antrim. Power is supplied by the Crumlin, or Camlin River. There are over 40 statute acres in the premises, including a handsome lawn and gardens, belonging to a comfortable family residence, now occupied by the managing director. Glenoak Mills were originally built in 1765 by Rowley Heyland, for the manufacture of fine flour, and were the first of the kind in the north of Ireland. The Government regarded the enterprise so favourably that it caused the erection of extensive stores, and in every way encouraged the growth of wheat in the district. In 1884, the flour mills were burned, while in possession of Mr. Henry P. Rhodes, leaving the ground clear for the Ulster Woollen Co., Limited. There is a siding to the mills from the Great Northern Railway.

Crumlin Directory

Baker: Mrs. M. Holmes
Bank, Ulster: weekly
Boots & Leather : J. McQuillan
Dispensary : Dr. Bindon Burton
Estate Office: C.E. McClintock, agent; Warren Mountgarrett, under agent
Grocer, Spirits, Drapers: Miss S. Dornan, Mrs. M. Hefferson, E.Johnson, A.Kirkpatrick, Miss M. McAreavy, A.Nixon
Hotels: P. Corken, Hy. Gillen
Petty Sessions: last Monday monthly, Jos. English, clk.
Post M.: Miss M.Campbell
Miss A. Morrison, tel.op.
Presbyterian Church: Rev. A.C. Canning
R.I.C.: Sergt, McGowan
Saddlers: J. Armstrong, T.Cormican, A. Johnston.
Saw & Scutch Mill: J. Christie
Spirit rtlr.: Isaac Cousins
Unitarian: Rev. Mr. Lewis
Victualler: E. McCluney
Woollen Manufacturers: The Ulster Woollen Co., Ltd.

Farmers & residents

Sub-office – Diamond

Aicken, Geo., Ballyclan
Allen, Wm. R., Ballyquillan
Ardbuckle, Jas., Ballynadrentagh
Ardbuckle, Alex., Dundesert
Armstrong, Jas., Ballydonaghy
Armstrong, Jno., Ballydonaghy
Arnold, Carlisle, Ballydonaghy
Barnes, Frs., Ballydonaghy
Bell, Jno., B’nageeragh
Bell, Wm., Randox
Berryhill, John, Crumlin
Boyd, John, Ballydonaghy
Boyd, Sl., Ballydonaghy
Boyd, Wm., Ballymacreevan
Bullick, John, Bell’s Grove
Campbell, Robert, Ardmore
Campbell, Sl., B’macilhoyle
Campbell, Sl., Ardmore
Campbell, T., Ballymacilhoyle
Christie, Alexander, B’nadrentagh
Christie, Jno., B’nadrentagh
Coburn, Jos., Ballydonaghy
Craig, E., Gortnagallon
Craig, W., B’drentagh
Crawford, Wm., Gortnagallon
Curry, Jno., B’nadrentagh
Davison, Jas., Crosshill
Davison, Jas., B’nadrentagh
Davison, W.J., Crosshill
Dowglass, Capt. Geo. (J.P.) Gobrana
Duncan, Geo., Largy
Elliott, J., Crosshill
Elliott, Wm., Crosshill
Elliott, W.J., Crumlin
Espie, Dl., B’drentagh
Fagan, Wm., Ardmore
Gillespie, Thos., Ballydonaghy
Gilliland, Hy., Ballydonaghy
Gilmore,A., Largy
Gilmore, Jas., Gortnagallon
Gresham, Rt., Beechvale
Hamilton, Sl., B’macilhoyle
Hamilton, Wm., Gortnagallon
Harper, A., Knockcairn
Hume, Walker O., Crumlin
Hunter, J.S., Ballynageeragh
Hunter, Rt., B’nageeragh
Hunter, W.M., Ardmore
Ingram, Jas., Randox
Kirkpatrick, Wm., Dundesert
Knox, Jno., Largy
McCartney, Jno., B’donaghy
Macartney, Sl., Ballyquillan
McClintock, C.E. (J.P.), G’darragh
McClure,E., Ballyshanagill
McClure,Hugh, The Gulf
McCurdy, Rt., Randox
McCluskey, James, Crumlin
McConky, W.J., Ballyquillan
McConnell, J.H., Cherryvalley
McConnell, M., Thistleboro
McErval, A., Gartree
McErvell, Dl., Ballymacreevan
McFarland. L., Randox
McGee, Dl., Ballymacreevan
McKee, W.A., Gobrana
Mackey, A., Ballytrommery
Mackey, Wm., Crosshill
Mairs, Dd., Ardmore
Manderson, Jno., Ballymacmary
Manderson, Jno., Raven hill
Martin, Jas., Ballyclan
Miller, T., Ballydonaghy
Molyneaux, T., B’nadrentagh
Moore, Jno., Ballymacmary
Mulholland, Dl., Ballydonaghy
Nelson, J., sen., Ballytromery
Nelson, J., jun., Landgarve
Nicholl, A., Ballyquillan
Nixon, A., Ballynadrentagh
Nixon, J., Ballymacilhoyle
Nixon, J., Ballymacilhoyle
Pakenham, Rev. A.H., Langford Lodge
Palmer, Arthur, Crumlin
Palmer, J.A., Ballydonaghy
Parker, Sl., B’macreevan
Parker, Thos, Ballyclan
Parks, Jnr., Ballydonaghy
Peel, Jnthn., Benneagh
Pinkerton, Jno., Crosshill
Porter, Wm., B’nadrentagh
Rea, T., Ballygortgarve
Robinson, Jas., Ardmore
Roe, Rev. E.P. (C.I.), Gartree
Scott, Thos. Tait, Glenoak
Scott, Wm., Ballydonaghy
Shaw, Wm., Largy
Sherlock, J.H., Crosshill
Sherlock, T., Ballydonaghy
Sherlock, Wm., Ballynadrentagh
Smith, Sl., Ballyhone
Stewart, Jno., Ballydonaghy
Sufferin, Jno., Ballydonaghy
Suffern, Jno., Ballyclan
Suffern, Wm., Ballynadrentagh
Thompson, Hy., jun., B’macilhoyle
Thompson, Rev. S., Tully
Thompson, Sl., Ballymacilhoyle
Thompson, Sl. C., Ardmore
White, John, Ballytromery
White, John, Glenfield
Whiteside, F., Ballydonaghy
Whiteside, H., Ardmore
Whiteside, M., Ballydonaghy
Whitfield, Mrs., Crumlin Ho
Wiley, W.J., Ballyquillan
Willis, Rt., Ballydonaghy
Wilson, Jno., Largy
Young, A., Randox

Comments are closed