Slater’s Directory 1870

The following are extracts from Slater’s Directory 1870

Ballinderry is a parish in the barony of Upper Massereene, County of Antrim, and contains the scattered hamlets of Ballinderry Lower and Ballinderry Upper, situated from three to four miles N. & N.W. of Moira, and seven W. of Lisburn. The church is a neat stone building, surmounted by an octagonal spire, and the school is under the Church Education society . Population of Ballinderry Parish in 1861 – 4547.

Stonyford is a small hamlet four miles W. by N. of Lisburn, on the road to Glenavy. There is an Episcopal church and a national school in the village.

Post Office; Upper Ballinderry, William H Sefton, Post Master
Letter from all parts arrive at ten minutes before eight morning, and are despatched thereto at ten minutes past six evening.

Post Office: Stonyford, Eliza Connell, Post Mistress
Letter from all parts arrive at twenty minutes before ten morning, and are despatched, thereto at five minutes before six evening.

Gentry and Clergy

Rev. John Allen Johnston, Upper Ballinderry
Rev Henry Leebody, Upper Ballinderry
Rev Joseph McCormick, Upper Ballinderry
Rev William Magill, Dundrod, Stonyford
Rev Edward Mockler, Maragall
Mrs Nelson, Lower Ballinderry
Rev Tisdale Lower Ballinderry
Thomas Walkington, Esq. – Oatland Cottage, Ballinderry

Academies and Schools

Church Educational Society’s schools, Upper Ballinderry – William J Dalton, Master

National Schools: Stonyford – Moses Atkinson master; Ellen Jane Atkinson, mistress

Blacksmiths:

James McGrath, Upper Ballinderry

Boot and Shoe makers:

Wm. J. Abernethy, Upper Ballinderry

Carpenters:

John Larmour, Upper Ballinderry

Grocers:

Samuel Beckett, Upper Ballinderry
William J Cummings, Upper Ballinderry
Richard Gawley, Lower Ballinderry
Gregson – Upper Ballinderry
William Grogan, Stonyford
Richard Johnston, Upper Ballinderry
Jas McKinstry, Upper Ballinderry
Mary Russell, Upper Ballinderry
John Wallace, Stonyford

Haberdashers:

William J Cummings, Upper Ballinderry

Ironmongers & Hardware Men:

William J Cummings, Upper Ballinderry

Nail Makers:

Robert Horner, Upper Ballinderry

Spirit & Porter dealers:

Jane Bell, Lower Ballinderry
William J Cummings, Upper Ballinderry
Wm. Grogan, Stonyford
James McKinstry, Upper Ballinderry
Mary Russell, Upper Ballinderry

Tailors:

Robert Carey, Upper Ballinderry

Miscellaneous:

Thomas Burrows, flax scutching and square beetling mill, Stonyford

Places of Worship and their ministers

Episcopal Churches:

Upper Ballinderry – rev Joseph McCormick & Rev J.A. Johnston
Stoneyford: Rev R Stewart, rector; Rev G R Samuels, curate

Maragall (Magheragall) : Rev Edward Mockler, rector

Presbyterian Churches:

Upper Ballinderry – Rev Henry Leebody, minister

Moravian Chapel – Lower Ballinderry

Dispensary Districts with their Medical Officers:

Glenavy – Arthur Mussen M.D.

Comments are closed