Belfast & Ulster Towns Directory 1912

The following is an extract from the Belfast and Ulster Towns Directory 1912.

CRUMLIN

Is a small post town, parish of Camlin, in the County Antrim, fourteen and one-third English miles W. by N. from Belfast, situated on the road between Antrim and Lurgan and two miles and a half E. of the head of a bay of Lough Neagh. On the Camlin, which skirts the town, and from which river its name is a corruption, a large factory has been erected on the site of the old flour mills for the manufacture of woollens and tweeds and it is known as The Ulster Woollen Company. Woodturning has been carried on to a very considerable extent during the last few years. At Mr. J. Williamson’s mill on the Camlin River, enormous quantities of chair-legs, table-legs, brush heads and handles of all sizes, axe-handles, spade and shovel shafts, and peg-tops are turned out weekly. Petty sessions are held on the fourth Monday of every month. The Parish Church was destroyed by the army of James 11 in 1689. A beautiful new Chapel of Ease has been erected at a total cost of about £1000, mainly through the efforts of the Rector of Glenavy, Rev. J.B.Glover, in whose parish Crumlin is. It seats about 100. The Presbyterians and Unitarians have each a place of worship; and there are three Free schools and a Dispensary. On the east side of the town is a station of the Dublin and Antrim Junction Railway. Which connects the Great Northern Railway with the Northern Counties, thereby affording daily communication with Derry on the North and Dublin on the South.
Fairs – The first Monday, monthly.

Post Office – Mrs Walker, postmistress. Letters from Dublin, and all parts of the South of Ireland, also from England, arrive each morning at 5.30, and are despatched every day at 9.30, 1.45 and 6.45. Letters from Belfast and the North, also from Scotland and England, arrive at 9.30pm.

Magistrates who preside at Petty Sessions – Charles E. McClintock, A. Mussen, M.D.; Lieutenant – General Thomas H. Pakenham, James Megarry, John Laird, Captain A.H. Pakenham, John Higginson, James Hunter, Robert Suffern, James Morrison,

Clerk of Petty Sessions for Crumlin District – Thomas J. English, Crumlin.

Places of Worship

Church of Ireland – Parish Church of Killead – Rev. John Clarke, Rector Killead, Crumlin.
Parish Church, Gartree – Rev. A. Yare, incumbent, The Glebe, Gartree. Crumlin Parish church, Glenavy – Rev. John M.B. Glover, M.A., The Glebe, Glenavy; Rev. W.R.S. Clarendon, B.A. Curate.

Presbyterian Church – Rev. John A. Canning, M.A.

Methodist Church, Glenavy – Rev. Robert Jamison

Unitarian Church – Rev.S.E. Bowen

Public Institutions

National School, No. 1 – John Getty; No. 2 – Mr. F.C. Martin; No.3 –

Crumlin Dispensary – Wm Hunter, M.D., medical officer

Crumlin Market Company (Limited) – F.C. Martin, secretary; Edward J. Johnson, hon. Treasurer.

Inhabitants

Adams, J., civil bill officer, Aghnamillan
Adams, Robert, storekeeper
Addis, John, farmer
Allan, Alex.
Armstrong, Frank, farmer
Armstronh, J., stationmaster
Barnett, Robt., clerk
Bawn, John
Beattie, George, coachman
Bell, Mrs., farmer
Benson, Joseph, clerk
Bickerstaff, John, grocer’s assistant
Bowen, Rev. S.E.
Boyd, Wm., Cherryvally
Boyd., Wm., Shoemaker
Calwell, Alexander, spirit dealer
Canning, Rev. J.A., Crumlin House
Christie, Robert, farmer
Colburn, Thomas, farmer, Largy
Corken, Phillip, farmer
Corkey, Rev. David, Dundrod
Courtney, John, Weighmaster
Cousins, Isaac, spirit dealer
Davison, Allen,
Davison, James, farmer
Diamond, Patrick, farmer
Dodds & Co., chemists
Elliott, Joshua, carpenter
Elliot, Josias, farmer
Elliot, William J., carpenter and farmer
English, Miss
Fegan, Wm., butcher and farmer
Finton, Arthur
Fitzgerald, Robert, publican and farmer
Fleming, James, blacksmith
Frazer, Jas., grocer
Getty, John, N.S. teacher
Gillan, Henry, Pakenham Arms Hotel
Gillespie, Thos., farmer, Ballydonaghy
Gilliland, Wm., farmer, Ballydonaghy
Gresham, Miss, farmer
Halliday, H.W., boot and shoemaker
Harkness, Mrs., farmer
Hefferon, Jas., publican
Hunter, Wm., M.D., registrar of births, marriages and deaths
Ingram, James, mason and caretaker Masonic Hall
Johnson, E.J., Grocer, Haberdasher, Baker and farmer; Agent for the Belfast News-Letter and Belfast Weekly News.
Laird, John, J.P., Gobrana House
Manderson, Frank, farmer
Marshall, John, farmer
Martin, F.C., National School teacher
Martin, Mrs., nurse
Megarry, Henry, fisherman
Megarry, John
Meiklejohn, John, turner
Montgarret, Miss, ladies’ school
Morrison, Charles, farmer
Mullan, Daniel, farmer, Ballyshanigall
McCartney, John, farmer
McCauley, John, flour and bran merchant
McClintock, Charles E., J.P., Glendarragh
McClure, Edmund, farmer, Ballyshanigall
McConnell, John Henry, land com., Cherry Valley
McConnell, Malcolm, Ballyshanigall
McDonagh, Miss, N.S.T.
McKinstry, T., clerk
McKnight, Wm., blacksmith
McLenaghan, Thomas, mason
McMartin, Peter, dyer
McMaster, Sergeant, R.I.C.
McSheffrey, H., baker
Neeson, Thomas, shoemaker
Nelson, John, farmer
Nixon, Alex., grocer and hardware merchant; deputy registrar of births, &c.
Pakenham, General Thomas H., D.L., J.P., Langford Lodge
Palmer, John A., farmer
Palmer, The Misses, dressmakers and milliners
Park, Abraham, farmer
Park, Andrew, farmer and horse dealer
Park, John. farmer
Park, William, farmer
Patterson, James, bread server
Patterson, James Jun., tailor
Peel, Miss, Ben Neagh
Pinkerton, Hans
Porter, Wm., farmer
Porter, Gilbert, blacksmith
Rea, John, saddler
Robinson, Andrew, farmer
Robinson, John, dealer
Robinson, Wm., farmer
Ross, Mrs., farmer
Scott, Mrs., Glenoak
Scott, Robert G., Managing director
Scott, T. Hill, Glenoak
Scott, William, farmer, Ballydonaghy
Sherlock, John, farmer
Sherlock, Joseph, farmer
Sloan, William, clerk
Smith, James, mason
Spence, S., farmer
Suffern, Robert, J.P., farmer
Templeton, Miss, grocer
Thompson, Henry, The Elms
Thompson, Wm. S., farmer, Ardmore
Watterson, Mrs., grocer
Wilkinson, Mrs., farmer
Williamson, Joe, Sawmill owner
Williamson, matthew, woodturner
Williamson, Robert, miller and flax scutcher
Wilson, Nathaniel, carpenter
Wilson, Robert, tailor
Wright, Samuel, baker
Wilson, W.J. cattle medicines
Yare, Rev. A., incumbent of Gartree

GLENAVY

Glenavy is a very charming village, picturesquely situated about one mile and a half from Lough Neagh. As the village is only seventeen miles by rail, and eleven by road from Belfast, it is a most suitable and convenient place for parties wishing to picnic on Ram’s Island, or on the shores of Lough Neagh. The Glenavy River is a favourite resort for anglers, the fishing there being remarkably good. Glenavy is on a branch line from Lisburn to Antrim, there being four trains daily each way, and also direct communication between Dublin and Belfast. The roads around being very good, level, and kept in good order, have great attractions for cyclists, many hundreds of whom pass through the village, in clubs or singly, during the cycling season. There are two prosperous flock mill owned by the Ulster Flock Co. and Mr. W. Briggs, which employ a number of people, whilst others find work at the Lough Neagh Tweed Factory, in Crumlin, a distance of two miles. There are also beetling engines owned by Mr. James Lorimer, also corn mill and beetling engines owned by Mr. A.M. Lorimer, which do a large trade for several firms in Belfast, whilst the business of basket-making is largely carried on by the peasants living around and about Lough Neagh. There are various objects of interest near Glenavy, such as the ruins of the Church and Palace of Bishop Jeremy Taylor, also the remains of the beautiful stables built by the Earl of Conway about 1664; but all the buildings, including the Church and Palace, were demolished in the year 1761. These ruins are to be found on the borders of Portmore Lake, within easy driving or walking distance of Glenavy. The Crew Stone, where the Kings of Ulster were crowned; from this stone one of the finest and most extensive views in the country may be had on a clear day; the ruins of the Parish Church of Camlin, destroyed by the army of James 11, in 1689; the Leap Waterfall at Glenconway, the residence of Miss Briggs; the Parish Church of Glenavy, a handsome Elizabethan edifice situate on the Glenavy River. During the year 1895, through the untiring efforts of the late incumbent, the Rev. Charles Watson, M.A., B.D., the interior of the Church has been thoroughly renovated and beautified; a chancel and organ chamber built, and beautiful stained glass windows, presented by interested friends. There is a large congregation connected with the church, the services on Sundays being held at the hours of half past eleven am and seven pm. An interesting relic is the beautiful communion cup presented by the officers of the army of William 111, who were quartered in Glenavy. This cup adorns the communion table on the “twelfth of July Sunday” when the Orangemen march to church wearing their colours. A very handsome little Chapel of Ease, St. John’s was opened in September 1903 at Crumlin. It belongs to the Parish Church, Glenavy, and the vicar and curate officiate. It has been opened quite free of debt, and is a very great acquisition. A very handsome National School has been built, and was opened in 1908 free of debt. In the Parochial Schoolroom reading and recreation rooms are open every week-night. The Middle Church of Ballinderry, near Glenavy, was built by Jeremy Taylor, Bishop of Down, and consecrated in 1668, the year after his death. It has a curious three decker pulpit at the side of the church, and the gallery is entered by a staircase outside the church. It was restored in the years 1902 by the munificence of Mrs. Walkington, Upper Ballinderry. There is an attractive Methodist Church, surrounded by handsome iron railings, built in the year 1892, and now entirely free of debt; there are two services on Sunday, at eleven am and half past six p.m. A mile from the village is the Roman Catholic Chapel of St. Joseph, built on an elevation, from which it can be seen for miles around.

Post Office – Miss Ferris, postmistress. Delivery of letter three times daily – 7am, 2pm (7pm for callers)

Telegraph Office – Glenavy Railway Station; Wm. Sherlock, Clerk

Post Office Savings Bank and Money Order Office, open from 8am till 8pm – Miss Ferris

Petty Sessions – Held last Monday of each month in Crumlin; Thomas J. English, clerk

At any time cars are available for hire, outside cars go every Tuesday to Lisburn.

Places of Worship

Church of Ireland – Parish Church, Glenavy – Rev. J.B. Glover, M.A., incumbent. St. Andrew’s Chapel of Ease, Femore – supplied from Glenavy. Parish Church,. Stoneyford – Rev. J. Richardson

St. John’s Chapel of Ease, Crumlin – supplied from Glenavy

Presbyterian Church – Rev J.A. Canning, LL.B., Crumlin

Methodist Church – Rev. R. Jamison

Roman Catholic Chapel – Rev. F. McBride, P.P.

Public Institutions

Protestant Hall, Glenavy

National Schools – Glenavy, Arthur G. Camp; Legateriff, Mrs. Hazley; Ballymacricket,(boys) Mr Heansy, (girls) Miss McCotter; Fourscore, Mr Collins; Killultagh, James Hendron

Glenavy Dispensary – Norman C. Patrick M.D.

Coroner for South Antrim – Arthur Mussen, M.D., J.P.

Badminton Club every Saturday from November till March, Protestant Hall, Glenavy. Miss Sefton, hon. Treas; hours 3 to 10pm.

Registrar of Births, deaths and marriages – Dr. Patrick.

Inhabitants

Adams, Johnston, farmer
Addis, John farmer
Addison, John, farmer, Lurgill
Armstrong, John saddler and sand merchant
Arnstrong, John, coachman
Armstrong, Joseph, Crew
Armstrong, Mrs. Andrew, farmer
Armstrong, M.P., Goremount, farmer
Armstrong, William, signalman
Ballance, Henry,D.C. farmer Crewe
Ballance, James, farmer, Ballypitmave
Balmer, John, Springfield
Bell, Jonathan, farmer, Tullynewbank
Bell, JoMeredith, millwright
Bell, Robert, carowner and posting establishment

Bell., Thos., Bell’s Grove
Bickerstaff, Joseph, fisherman
Brankin, James, Fisherman
Briggs, W. flock manufacturer
Buchanan., S. merchant, Rose Land ends
Camp, Arthur G., N.S. teacher
Campbell, Wm., fish merchant and shipper
Cardwell, Robert, Ram’s Island caretaker
Christie, John A., labourer
Christie, Joseph, labourer
Clarendon, Rev. W.R.S., The Curatage
Clendinning, Albert, postman
Clendinning, Thomas
Colbourn, Joseph, farmer
Colburn, Wm., shoemaker, Knockcairn
Collier, John, farmer, Ballincoy
Connon, H., farmer, Pigeontown
Corken, John, farmer, Hollybrook
Creaney, John, farmer Elm hill
Crossey, daniel, farmer
Crossey, patk., basket manufacturer
Crowe, R., beetler
Crowe, Sam
Cummins, Edward, farmer
Curry, Samuel, carpenter
Dogherty, Joseph, farmer
Evans, William, Crewe Park
Faloon, Henry, carpenter
Farr, Arthur, railway porter
Ferris, John, publican and farmer
Ferris, Miss, postmistress
Fitzgerald, Wm.,J.P., Tunny House
Garrett, Robert, farmer
Gibson, James, farmer, Crossvale
Gillen, James, farmer
Glover, Rev. J.B., M.A., The Vicarage
Green, Samuel, farmer
Hannon, Hugh, shoemaker
Harbinson, Wm., beetler
Heaney, William, tailor
Hendron, James, N.S., Killultagh
Henry, James, blacksmith
Higginson, Henry, farmer
Higginson, William, carter
Hume, Mrs., laundress
Ingram, Miss E.dressmaker
Ingram, Edward, mason
Ingram, John, mason
Ingram, Walter, mechanic
Irvine, Thos, Glenavy
Ives, Mr., stained glass worker, Ballydonaghy
Jamison, Rev. R., Methodist Manse
Johnston, Alex., farmer
Johnston, John, farmer, Weir House
Johnston, James
Johnston, Miss., Annandale
Johnston, M.L.&S., general merchants; Agents for Belfast News Letter and belfast Weekly News. Telegraphic Address – Johnston, Merchants, Glenavy
Johnston, Robert, fowl dealer
Johnston, Samuel, Hopevale
Johnston, Thomas, farmer
Just, Thomas, beetler
Kerr, Thomas, manager Ulster Flock Co.,
John Laird, J.P., Gobrana House
Laird, William, Gobrana House
Lattimer, H. Waterworks, Stoneyford
Lochart, Robert, clerk
Logan, Mrs., farmer, Landgarve
Logan, Miss C., Ladies’ School, Landgarve
Lorimer, James, Millowner and farmer
Lorimer, Archibald, millowner
Lowe, Henry, farmer
Lowe, Wm., basket and hamper manufacturer
Lowry, John, farmer
Lowry, William, farmer
Macartney, John, labourer
MacWilliam, W.A., farmer and poultry farm
Marsden, Edward, engine driver
Megahy, John, farmer
Megarry, Henry, fisherman
Megarry, James, J.P., Ballyvorally
Megarry, John fisherman
Megarry, John, boatbuilder
Millar, Miss, dressmaker
Millar Miss M., secretary I.O.G.T.
Millar, Mrs. Sara
Mockler, Edward, J.P.
Moore, Letitia, farmer
Moore, Richard, carpenter
Moore, Thos, farmer
Morgan, William, beetler
Mussen, Arthur, M.D., J.P., coroner, The Cottage
Mulholland, Isaac, Publican and basket manufacturer
Mulholland, Samuel
McAllister, Samuel, farmer
McAllister, Randal, Firs Lodge
McBride, Rev. F., P.P.
McClure, George, Ashmore
McClure, John, Landgarve
McCord, Archie, carter
McCorry, Dalway, farmer
McCorry, W.J., publican
McCotter, Miss, schoolteacher
McCullagh, Mrs, farmer, Tullynewbank
McCullough – Knockcairn House
McKavanagh, Daniel, farmer
McKavanagh, Philip, farmer and grocer
McKeever, J. fowldealer
McKeown, W.J., shop manager, Sunnyside
McKeown, W.J., insurance agent
McMullan, Thompson, farmer
McNeice, James, sexton Parish Church
McVeigh, Charles, farmer
Neill, Joseph, farmer
Nelson, Charles, fish merchant and shipper
Nelson, W.R., Aghanadarragh
Norman, Patrick, M.D., Hope Croft
O’Boyle, Patrick, farmer
O’Neill, Maurice, basket manufacturer
Peel, Arthur, farmer
Peel, Albert, D.C., farmer
Phillips, W. J., farmer
Pinkerton, John, surface man
Price, John, farmer
Quigley, Charles, sand merchant
Reid, Joseph, farmer, Crew
Richardson, F., Ballyvorally
Rollins, George, farmer, Crew Park
Ross, James posting establishment and publican
Rush, Andrew, tailor
Sefton, Alfred, Glendona
Sefton, The Misses, Glendona
Sefton, Thomas, Glendona
Sherlock, William, stationmaster
Simpson, John, farmer
Sloane, Jas. R., farmer
Smith, James, farmer, Crew Park
Smith, William, farmer
Steel, David, railway permanent way
Steel, Robert, farmer
Steel, Thomas, farmer
Steele, Thomas, blacksmith
Stewart, Andrew, farmer
Stewart, Francis, farmer, crew
Stewart, George, farmer
St. Clair, Mrs., dressmaker
Taylor, James, miller
Thompson, Thomas, farmer
Trowland, Daniel
Waite, Miss, dressmaker
Waring, Lucas, farmer, Bellbrook
Watson, Joseph, thatcher and jobber
White, The Misses, Crewmount
White, Walter, carpenter and contractor
Wilkinson, Elijah, beetler, Alma Cottage
Wilson, David, farmer, The Laurels
Wilson, Robert, Carpenter and auctioneer
Wilson, Robert, Stationview House
Wilkinson, Thomas, gardener
Wilkinson, W.J., farmer
Wolfenden, Miss, N.S. teacher, Sandon
Young, James, watchmaker and jeweller

Comments are closed