Belfast & Ulster Towns Directory 1902

CRUMLIN

Is a small post town, parish of Camlin, in the County Antrim, fourteen and one-third English miles W. by N. from Belfast, situated on the road between Antrim and Lurgan and two miles and a half E. of the head of a bay of Lough Neagh. On the Camlin, which skirts the town, and from which river its name is a corruption, an extensive factory has been erected on the site of the old flour mills for the manufacture of woollens and tweeds. It is a limited company, known as The Ulster Woollen Company. The brand of goods is a Round Tower. The tweed is known as the Lough Neagh Tweed, and Mr. Thomas Tait is managing director. Woodturning has been carried on to a very considerable extent during the last few years, and is likely to be extended still further. At Mr. Thomas Rea’s mill on the Crumlin River, enormous quantities of chair-legs, table-legs, brush heads and handles of all sizes, axe-handles, spade and shovel shafts, and peg-tops are turned out weekly. There is also on the Camlin River a flax scutch mill and saw mill, the property of Mr. John Christie. From the situation of the town near Lough Neagh ir derives facilities of communication by water with Belfast, Newry, Antrim, Magherafelt, and other towns. Petty Sessions are held on the fourth Monday of every month. The Parish Church was destroyed by the army of James 11 in 1689. For the convenience of members, services in connection with the Irish Church are held every Sunday evening, at 4.30, in the Courthouse, Crumlin; which are well attended. The Presbyterians and Unitarians have each a place of worship; and there are two Free Schools and a Dispensary. On the east side of the town is a station of the Dublin and Antrim Junction Railway. Which connects the Great Northern Railway with the Northern Counties, thereby affording daily communication with Derry on the North and Dublin on the South.

Fairs – The first Monday, monthly. There is also a market every Wednesday for the sale of wheat, oats, potatoes, pork, butter, eggs and fowl. One of the best equipped creameries in Ireland has recently been erected quite convenient to the railway station.

Post Office – Miss A. Morrison, postmistress. Letters from Dublin, from all parts of the South of Ireland, also from England, arrive each morning at 7, and are despatched every evening at 6.35 o’clock. Letters from Belfast and the North, also from Scotland and England, arrive (from Antrim) at 12.30pm and are despatched every morning at 8.0.

Magistrates who preside at Petty Sessions – Charles E. McClintock, A. Mussen, M.D.; Lieutenant – General Thomas H. Pakenham, James Megarry, and John Laird.

Clerk of Petty Sessions for Crumlin District – Thomas J. English, Crumlin.

Places of Worship

Church of Ireland – Parish Church of Killead – Rev. John Clarke, Rector Killead, Crumlin.
Parish Church, Gartree – Rev. J.F. Alexander, incumbent, The Glebe, Gartree.
Crumlin Parish church, Glenavy – Rev. John M.B. Glover, M.A., The Glebe, Glenavy; Rev. E.M. Harris, B.A. Curate.

Presbyterian Church – Rev. John A. Canning, M.A.

Methodist Church, Glenavy – rev. G.W. Thompson

Public Institutions

National School, No. 1 – John Getty; No. 2 – Mr. F.C. Martin; No.3 – Miss Smith

Crumlin Dispensary – Wm Hunter, M.D., medical officer

Crumlin Market Company (Limited) – A. Moore, secretary; Edward J. Johnson, hon. Treasurer.

Inhabitants

Adams, J., civil bill officer, Aghnamillan
Adams, Robert, storekeeper
Alexander, Rev. J.F., incumbent of Gartree
Bawn, John
Berryhill, R.H. Solicitor
Boyd, Wm., shoemaker
Burleigh, Miss, dressmaker
Calwell, Alexander, spirit dealer
Christie, John, farmer
Corken, Phillip, farmer
Cormican, Thomas, saddle and harness maker
Cousins, Isaac, spirit dealer
Davison, James, farmer
Elliot, Wm. J., carpenter and farmer
English, Joseph
Fegan, Wm., butcher and farmer
Fenton, Arthur
Fitzgerald, Robert, publican and farmer
Flemming, James, blacksmith
Forsythe, John
Gillan, Henry, Pakenham Arms Hotel
Gresham, Wm, farmer
Hall, Rev. Jas., Unitarian minister
Moore, A., sub-agent
Morrison, Miss A. postmistress
McAreavey, Miss, draper, grocer and spirit
McCartney, John, farmer
McClintock, Charles E., J.P., Glendarragh
McCluney, Edward, butcher and farmer
McConnell, John Henry, land com., Cherry Valley
McIlvenna, Joseph, carpenter
McLenaghan, Thomas, mason
McMartin, Peter, dyer
McPeake, Joseph, cooper
McQuillan, John, boot and shoe maker
Nelson, John, farmer
Neeson, Thomas, shoemaker
Nixon, Alex., grocer and hardware merchant
Palmer, Arthur, farmer
Pakenham, General Thomas H., D.L., J.P., Langford Lodge
Palmer, The Misses, dressmakers and milliners
Park, Andrew, farmer and horse dealer
Park, John
Patterson, James, bread server
Peel, Jonathan, Ben Neagh
Porter, Wm., farmer
Rea, T. Miller and wood turner, Glen End Mills
Robinson, David, baker
Ross, Wm. J., farmer
Savage, William, weigh master
Scott, Robert G., The Park
Scott, Thomas Tait, Glenoak
Scott, T. Hill, Glenoak
Sherlock, Joseph, farmer
Sherlock, Wm., farmer
Sloan, William, book keeper
Spence, S., farmer
Smith, James, mason
Steel, Thomas, Blacksmith
Templeton, Miss, grocer
Thompson, George, finisher
Wilson, Robert, miller and flax scutcher, Greddan mill
Wilson, Nathaniel, carpenter
Whitfield, John B., Crumlin house
Wilkinson, John, horse dealer and farmer.

GLENAVY

Glenavy is a very charming village, picturesquely situated about one mile and a half from Lough Neagh. As the village is only seventeen miles by rail, and eleven by road from Belfast, it is a most suitable and convenient place for parties wishing to picnic on Ram’s Island, or on the shores of Lough Neagh. The Glenavy River is a favourite resort for anglers, the fishing there being remarkably good. Glenavy is on a branch line from Lisburn to Antrim, there being five trains daily each way, and also direct communication between Dublin and Belfast. The roads around being very good, level, and kept in good order, have great attractions for cyclists, many hundreds of whom pass through the village, in clubs or singly, during the cycling season. There is a prosperous flock mill, the property of The Ulster Flock Co., which employs a number of people, whilst others find work at the Lough Neagh Tweed Factory, in Crumlin, a distance of two miles. There are also beetling engines owned by Mr. James Lorimer, which do a large trade for several firms in Belfast, whilst the business of basket-making is largely carried on by the peasants living around and about Lough Neagh. There are various objects of interest near Glenavy, such as the ruins of the Church and Palace of Bishop Jeremy Taylor, also the remains of the beautiful stables built by the Earl of Conway about 1664; but all the buildings, including the Church and Palace, were demolished in the year 1761. These ruins are to be found on the borders of Portmore Lake, within easy driving or walking distance of Glenavy. The Crew Stone, where the Kings of Ulster were crowned; from this stone one of the finest and most extensive views in the country my be had on a clear day; the ruins of the Parish Church of Camlin, destroyed by the army of James 11, in 1689; the Leap Waterfall at Glenconway, the residence of Mr. Samuel Sandys Briggs; the Parish Church of Glenavy, a handsome Elixabethan edifice situate on the Glenavy River. During the year 1895, through the untiring efforts of the late incumbent, the Rev. Charles Watson, M.A., B.D., the interior of the Church has been thoroughly renovated and beautified; a chancel and organ chamber built, and beautiful stained glass windows, presented by interested friends. There is a large congregation connected with the church, the hours of service being half past eleven am., and half past six p.m. on Sundays. There is a beautiful communion cup presented by some officers of the army of William 111, who were quartered in Glenavy. This cup adorns the communion table on the "twelfth of July Sunday" when the Orangemen march to church wearing their colours. There is an attractive Methodist Church, surrounded by handsome iron railings, built in the year 1892, and now entirely free of debt; there are two services on Sunday, at eleven am and half past six p.m. A mile from the village is the Roman Catholic Chapel of St. Joseph, built on an elevation, from which it can be seen for miles around.

Post Office – Miss Ferris, postmistress. Delivery of letter three times daily – 7am, 2pm 7pm

Telegraph Office – Glenavy Railway Station; W.A. Sherlock, Clerk

Petty Sessions – Held last Monday of each month in Crumlin; Thomas J. English, clerk

At any time cars are available for hire, and a three-horse van and outside car go every Tuesday to Lisburn. Passengers are conveyed from Lurgan to Antrim any morning by mail car, and from Antrim to Lurgan any evening.

Places of Worship

Church of Ireland – Parish Church, Glenavy – Rev. J.B. Glover, M.A., incumbent.
St. Andrew’s Chapel of Ease, Femore – supplied from Glenavy Parish Church,.
Stone ford – Rev.J. Minchin, B.A.

Presbyterian Church – Rev J.A. Canning, LL.B., Crumlin; Rev. James Little, Dundrod.

Methodist Church – Rev. G.W. Thompson, Glenavy

Unitarian Church – Rev. Mr. Hall, Crumlin

Public Institutions

National Schools – Glenavy, Jas. S. Crane; Legateriff, Mrs. Hazley; Ballymacricket, John Fitzpatrick; Fourscore, James Farr

Glenavy Dispensary – Arthur Mussen, M.D. J.P., coroner for South Antrim

Protestant Hall, Glenavy

Reading and Billiard Room, Glenavy

Inhabitants

Adams, Johnston, farmer
Agnew, Samuel, sexton, Hopecroft
Allan, Miss
Armstrong, James, farmer
Armstrong, Joseph, Crew
Armstrong, Mrs. George, Hope Croft
Armstrong, Mrs. Sarah, publican and farmer
Armstrong, M.P., Goremount, farmer
Armstrong, John, saddler
Ballance, Henry, farmer Crewe.
Ballance, James, farmer, Ballypitmave
Bell, Allan, farmer, Springfield
Bell, Jonathan, farmer, Tullynewbank
Bell, Jonathan, farmer, Bellgrove
Bolton, W.J., blacksmith, Ballycessy
Briggs, S.S., Glenconway
Bullick, Wm., farmer, Bellsgrove
Clendinning, Thomas
Colbourn, Joseph, farmer
Collier, James, farmer, Ballincoy
Connor, George, Knockcairn house
Connon, Henry, farmer, Pigeontown
Corken, John, farmer, Hollybrook
Crane, James H., N.S. teacher
Curry, Samuel, carpenter
Dickson, George, painter
Dogherty, Joseph, farmer
Donaldson, Miss, Landgarve
Downer, Mrs., Annandale
Durham, Miss, farmer, Tullynewbank
Evans, William, Crewe Park
Farr, James, N.S. master, Fourscore
Ferris, John, publican and farmer
Ferris, Miss, postmistress
Fitzgerald, Wm., Tansy House
Fitzpatrick, John, N.S. teacher
Gibson, James, farmer, Crossvale
Glover, Rev. J.B., M.A., The Vicarage
Hannon, Hugh, shoemaker
Harris, Rev., The Curatage
Heaney, William, tailor
Heaney, Patrick, grocer
Hendron, James, N.S., Killultagh
Higginson, Henry, farmer
Ingram, Edward, mason
Ingram, John, mason
Ingram, James G., farmer, Ballyvorally
Irvine, Thos, Contractor, Glenavy
Johnston, Alex., farmer
Johnston, Edward, farmer, Leap
Johnston, John, farmer, Weir House
Johnston, Mrs. A., farmer, Hopevale
Johnston, Miss., Annandale
Johnston, M.L.&S., general merchants
Kerr, Thomas, manager Ulster Flock Co.,
John Laird, J.P., Gobrana House
Laird, William, Gobrana House
Lattimer, – Waterworks, Stoneyford
Lennon, Robert, blacksmith
Lennon, The Misses, dressmakers
Lennon, Wm., blacksmith
Lorimer, Andrew, farmer
Lorimer, Archibald, miller
Lorimer, James, Edenvale
Lynas, T.J., farmer, Elmhill
Megarry, James, J.P., Ballyvorally
Millar, Miss, dressmaker
Millar, Mrs. Sara
Moore, Letitia, farmer
Moore, Richard, carpenter
Moore, Thos, farmer
Mussen, Arthur, M.D., J.P., coroner, The Cottage
McAllister, Randal, Firs Lodge
McClure, John, Landgarve
McCorry, J.J., grocer
McCullagh, Mrs, farmer, Tullynewbank
McKavanagh, Mrs. L., grocer and farmer
McKeown, W.J., shop manager, Sunnyside
McKeown, W.J., insurance agent
McMullan, Thompson, farmer
McNeice, James, sexton
McVeigh, Charles, farmer and contractor
McVeigh, Dennis, farmer and road contractor
McVeigh, John, farmer
Neill, Joseph, farmer
O’Brady, Rev James C.C., Ballymacricket
O’Malley, Rev F., P.P., Ballymacricket
Rankin, Wm., Landgarve
Peel, Arthur, farmer
Reid, Joseph, farmer, Crew
Rollins, George, farmer, Crew Park
Ross, James, posting establishment
Ross, James , publican
Rush, Andrew, tailor
Sherlock, William, stationmaster
Sloane, Jas. R., farmer
Sloane, Samuel, bootmaker
Sloane, Sergeant, farmer
Smith, James, farmer, Crew Park
Stewart, Francis, farmer, crew
Stewart, John, farmer
Taylor, Samuel., carpenter
Thompson, Rev. Geo. W., Methodist Manse
Ulster Flock Company
Usher, Joseph, publican
Waring, George, M.D., Bellbrook
Waring, John, farmer
Waring, Lucas, farmer, Bellbrook
Wilkinson, Elijah, Alma Cottage
Wilkinson, John, tailor
Wilson, David, farmer, The Laurels
Wilson, Robert, Stationview House

Comments are closed