“A History of Orangeism in the Glenavy District”
The following is an extract taken from “A History of Orangeism in the Glenavy District – A Tercentenary Booklet 1690 – 1990” with the kind permission of the officers and Brethren in Glenavy District.
Ballynadrenta L.O.L. 1059
Although Loyal Orange Lodge No. 1059 was established in Ballynadrenta at the beginning of this century it has operated in the Barony of Massereene for a much longer period. There is evidence that it belonged for a time to Antrim District L.O.L. No. 13 and took part in 12th celebrations with other Lodges in that District.
The Warrant (serial number 130) was installed in the town land of Ballynadrenta on 21 November 1900 and the name appearing on the Warrant is that of Brother William Suffern of Glenavy L.O.L. 227 who generously provided premises for a meeting place for most of the first thirty years. The Lodge room was situated in the loft of a farm dwelling named ‘Shockins’, now 35 Ballyclan Road.
In 1930 Colonel H.A. Pakenham of Langford Lodge decided to transfer from Belfast L.O.L. 7 to his local lodge 1059 and the members decided to avail themselves of the invitation of Brother James Robert Campbell to hold their monthly meetings in his home. They further decided to embark on an ambitious project for a new Orange Hall at the Diamond. The Colonel, now deputy Master, participated in the fund raising and it is worth noting that many Roman Catholic families also contributed to what would now be termed cross community support. Members of the Lodge contributed much of the voluntary work on the building which was opened within two years by Lady O’Neill, wife of the then Member of Parliament for County Antrim, Sir Hugh O’Neill. The debt on the Hall was cleared well before the outbreak of war in 1939, and in the immediate post war period a Royal Black Preceptory No. 274 was instituted. At the same time the Mayers Memorial Band was founded and thankfully continues to flourish thanks to a number of enthusiastic members. The Lodge itself doubled in numbers and more recently trebled. In its ninety years it has produced several District Officers and its more notorious characters have included one Senator and two members of Parliament.
Killed in Action — George Adair, R.I.R.
The following extract is from The Lisburn Standard dated 31st August 1917.
Rifleman George Adair, R.I.R., killed in action on 16th inst., a son of Mr. Geo. Adair, Seacash, British, Crumlin. He was a member of the U.V.F. and of Ballynadrentagh L.O.L. 1059, Glenavy district. His company commander writes that his loss is very deeply felt throughout the battalion, and that he was greatly loved and respected, both by the officers and men.
The following extract is from The Lisburn Herald dated Saturday July 6th 1929.
Orange Bazaar at Crumlin
Opening ceremony by Viscountess Charlemont
A two-days’ bazaar in aid of the Diamond New Orange Hall for Ballynadrenta L.O.L. 1059 was opened in Crumlin Memorial Orange Hall on Friday, 28th ult., by Viscountess Charlemont, Col. H.A. Pakenham, C.M.G., presiding.
The Chairman and Viscountess Charlemont, as the wife of the worthy minister of Education, an Orangeman and an Ulsterman needed no better introduction. They were deeply indebted to her for coming from Tyrone to open the bazaar.
Viscountess Charlemont, before formally declaring the bazaar open congratulated the members of Ballynadrenta L.O.L. 1059 on their enterprise in building their own hall. New Orange halls were additional bulwarks of strength all over Ulster. When they saw new halls springing up they felt that the strength of the Orange Order was increasing and not diminishing. The watchword of Orangeism “Loyalty” was at no time more clearly set down than during the period following the great war, when it saved this country from anarchy and ruin. To-day there were other dangers, perhaps more dangerous and difficult, confronting them – Socialists and people who called themselves Independent Unionists. They knew that there were forces which were sowing discontent, and made use of any means to get power into their own hands. Therefore their hopes for this country stood with the Orange Order.
Lady Charlemont was presented with a bouquet by Miss Molyneaux, the pretty little daughter of the W.M. of the lodge.
On the motion of Br. W. Molyneaux, W.M. of the lodge, seconded by Br. J. Russell, a vote of thanks was accorded to Viscountess Charlemont, and also to the Chairman.
The Bazaar was re-opened on Saturday afternoon by the Right Hon Sir Edward Archdale, Bart., under the chairmanship of Mr. George Thompson, J.P. There was a large attendance, and after the ceremony good business was carried on at the stalls and side attractions during the evening.
The following were stall holders:-
Work Stall – Miss Mayers and Mrs. Boyd.
Cake and Sweet Stall – Miss Campbell and Mrs. McFarland.
White Elephant Stall – Mrs. McCord and Mrs. Arbuckle.
Refreshment Stall – Mrs. McConnell and Miss English.
Opening of Ballynadrenta Orange Hall, 1930