There have been several publications in the past which cover the history of the Glenavy area and surrounding district. These include:
The Life and Times of Dr. Arthur Mussen M.D., J.P. Glenavy, County Antrim 1842 – 1931
The Digger has launched a new 116 page publication on the life and times of Dr. Mussen, compiled from miscellaneous newspaper extracts and other local sources including the Orange Lodge records of L.O.L. 227 in Glenavy.
The chapters of this book are now available for download:
- The Mussen family and Lisburn District
- Dr Arthur Mussen – the village doctor
- Dr Arthur Mussen – the family man
- 4 Dr Arthur Mussen – the coroner
- Dr Arthur Mussen – Justice of the Peace
- Dr Arthur Mussen – and the local community
- Dr Mussen and the Parish Church, Glenavy
- LOL 471, LOL 227 and Dr Arthur Mussen – a journey through the years
- The Death of Dr Mussen
- Glenavy Conservative Brass Band
- Name extracts from LOL 471 227
- NAME INDEX
Glenavy : Past and Present
Compiled by CHARLES WATSON, M.A., B.D., T.C.D. Vicar of the Union, 1892.
This book can be viewed online at Glenavy : Past and Present.
(Thanks to Jim Collins for providing this link.)
Glenavy : The Church of the Dwarf 1868-1968
By Rev. Patrick J. McKavanagh, 1968.
This book can be viewed online at Glenavy : The Church of the Dwarf.
(Thanks to Jim Collins for providing this link.)
Father McKavanagh died in County Sligo whilst attending a music festival on 14th April 1985 aged 62 years.
The Grand Bazaar and Fancy Fair in the New Schools, Crumlin, 1914
This book can be viewed online at The Grand Bazaar and Fancy Fair in the New Schools. (Thanks to Jim Collins for providing this link.)
Gleanings from Glenavy Parish
By Jean Totten. This publication, consisting of 32 pages, was published by Mourne Observer Press, Newcastle, County Down in 1980. The entire profits from the sale of this publication were donated to the Glenavy Parish Hall Building Fund.
Memories of St Aidan’s High School, Glenavy
Copyright Frank Rogers 2000. Printed by Impact Printing, Coleraine, Ballycastle.128 pages.
Molyneaux – The Long View
By Ann Purdy. First published by Greystone Books in 1989.
Heterogenea, or Medley
An original copy of a rare book titled “Heterogenea, or Medley”, by John Moore Johnston, Esqr. Printed by James Parks, Downpatrick in 1803. This copy has managed to survive and is still in the possession of a family in the Glenavy District. Read the transcription.
Crumlin – The Crooked Glen
By The Senior Pupils, Crumlin Primary School. Some historical notes made on the village of Crumlin and its surrounding districts. Compiled by the senior pupils of Crumlin Primary School and edited by George McBride. 1969.
Parish of Glenavy Yearbook 1981
Extracts from this book can be found on the following pages:
Facts and Fictions of Local History
With reference chiefly to the District of Killultagh by the Rev. M. Beckett, M.A., T.C.D., sometime Rector of Ballyhalbert, Diocese of Down. Published in 1929 by R. Carswell & Son, Limited , Printers, Queen Street and College Street.
The Faithful and The True (A history of Orangeism in County Antrim)
By John McGregor. First edition published 2006. Limited Edition Print of 1000 – each individually numbered.
Lower Ballinderry Primary School 1827 – 1976 – An historical journey
By Valerie Higginson was published in 2007. Proceeds from sales go to the Parent Teachers’ Association of Ballinderry Primary School.
An excellent social history of the school and the surrounding area. Further details or copies.
Lough Neagh Places, their names and origins
by Patrick McKay and Kay Muhr.
This book was published in 2007. It contains 156 pages with colour photographs and illustrations. Amongst those areas of the Lough shore covered in this book are:
Corbally, Dunore Point, Dunore River, Dungonnell, Crookedstone, British, Ballyginniff, Black Burn, Seacash, Killead, Nutt’s Corner, Ballyquillan, Aldergrove, Ballynageeragh,Ardmore, Ballymacihoyle, The Diamond, Ballyclan, Ballynadrentagh, Dundesert, Crosshill, Glendaragh,Ben Neagh, Milltown, Gortnagallon, Ballymacmary, Gartree, Langford Lodge, Killultagh, Crumlin River, Waterfoot, Ballymacrevan, Lennymore, Lennymore Bay, Cherry Valley, Ballygortgarve, Mulleague House, Mulleague Well, Crumlin, Camiln, Ballytromery, Ballyshanaghill, The Gulf, Thistleborough, Langarve, Whiteside’s Fort, Gobrana, Glendona, Aghnadarragh, Bellslane Ends, Ballyvollen, Pigeon Hill, Pigeontown, Ballysessy, Sentry Hill, Glenavy, Glenavy River, Crew Hill, Ballypitmave, Ballance House, Divis, The Leap Bridge, Edenturcher, Edenvale, Ballyvorally, Mount Pleasant, Elmvale, Ashvale, Ballyvanen, Derrachrin, Lodge Hill, Sandy Bay, Ram’s Island, Aghadolgan, Carroll’s Bridge, The Bleary, Ballymacrevan, Rose’s Lane Ends, Lurgill, Legatirriff, Addison’s Lane Ends, Holly Mount, Portmore, Drumart Hill, Portmore Lough or Lough Beg, Swallow Island, Ballinderry River, Ballinderry, Laloo, Lower Ballinderry, Upper Ballinderry, Feumore, Feumore Point, Tunny, Deer Park, Lignaboy Point, Lady Bay.
Soldier Sailor – An Intimate Portrait of an Irish Family
By Eliza Pakenham. Published (2007) by Widened & Nicholson about the Pakenham family.
There are references in this book to Langford Lodge.
Laura Bell, Courtesan & Lay Preacher: being a consideration of her life & legend as recorded by those who knew her, and those who wished to know her
Launched in 2008. Written by Anthony S. Drennan, Belfast.
The first edition of this book has been limited to 299 copies. This book traces the life of Laura Bell from her beginnings in the Glenavy area to high society in London. Laura Bell’s family lived at Bellbrook House, Glenavy.
Further details and copies of the book may be obtained at www.tonydrennan.co.uk
Glenavy Methodism and Some of Its Contacts 1826 – 1951
by FRANCES J. COLE
Girls Reading Book
About Killead and Gartree
by Mrs. M.E. Irvine published in 2003
Statistical Account or Parochial Survey of Ireland
by the Rev. Edward Cupples, L.L.B. Vicar
Drawn up from the communications of the clergy By William Shaw Mason, Esq. M.R.I.A. Remembrancer and receiver of First Fruits, and Secretary to the Board of Public Records
Volume 2, 1816, Of Glenavy, Camlin and Tullyrusk
Parish of Glenavy and Killead, Memories of Jubilee 2000
This book contains 190 pages of local information, adverts and history.
For a précis of the contents please see St Josephs, RC Church
Arming the Ulster Volunteers 1914
by R J Adgey
R.J. Adgey was involved in the U.V.F. Gunrunning in prior to the First World War. This book is in the possession of a friend
David Corkey – A Life Story
A Life Story of work in slums, in a country Parish and on the Battlefield by Ethel Corkey. Published by The Religious Tract Society, London. Ethel Corkey dedicated this book to “Constance and Maureen” daughters of the Rev. Corkey. “This sketch of their father is affectionately dedicated.”
Lisburn’s Rich Heritage – Churches and Places of Worship in the Lisburn City
by John Andrew Kelly
A new book has been released titled Lisburn’s Rich Heritage – Churches and Places of Worship in the Lisburn City area by John Andrew Kelly. It is priced £5.00 and the proceeds are in aid of Diabetes UK.
The book has been released in 2009 as part of the celebrations marking the 400th anniversary of the founding of Lisburn.
The following appear in the book:
- The Middle Church, Ballinderry Road (Between Upper and Lower Ballinderry). A photograph of Ballinderry Middle Church circa 1925 also appears.
- St. Mary’s Church, Chapel Road, Ballinderry opened in 1853.
- St. Joseph’s Church, Chapel Road, Glenavy.
- Ballinderry Parish Church, Ballinderry Road, Upper Ballinderry.
- St. Aidan’s, Belfast Road, Glenavy.
- Glenavy Methodist Church, Main Street, Glenavy.
- Ballydonaghy Mission Hall, Ballydonaghy Road, Dundrod.
- Ballinderry Moravian Church, Portmore Road, Ballinderry.
- Ballinderry Presbyterian Church, Meeting House Road, Lisburn.
- Dundrod Presbyterian Church, Leathemstown Road, Dundrod.
Glenavy Carnival Week 1961
This publication is the First Annual Parish Carnival Week, Chapel Hill, Glenavy Souvenir Programme 14th – 21st May 1961. The proceeds in aid of Church Building Renovation Fund. Provided by Glenavy Carnival Committee.
History of Banding in Crumlin since 1890
This material was written by David Magill Price (1927 – 1997)
Birthdays and Bazaar Book and Quotation Calendar, 1915
“Who Was Born To Day?”, Killead Presbyterian Church, Birthdays and Bazaar Book and Quotation Calendar, 1915
A History of Stoneyford
Written by Norma Parker.
Published in 1990.